CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Michael Scarnecchia could start next year? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=208972)

Carolina4Life 08-17-2014 12:39 PM

Michael Scarnecchia could start next year?

Spurrier said that Michael Scarnecchia has a good chance to start next season, is he hyping him up or is he really this good?

LegalCock 08-17-2014 12:41 PM

Re: Michael Scarnecchia could start next year?

He likes what's he's seen from the kid, for sure. Reminds me of some stuff he was saying about Connor (Shaw) when he was a froshie. I heard him say he he'll have a chance to compete for the job next season if they're able to redshirt him. But he's twice said it looks like he's going to be a good player and HBC doesn't hand out compliments like candy.

snruter amabon 08-17-2014 12:44 PM

Kid has great arm motion foot placement

Mechanical Cock 08-17-2014 12:46 PM

HBC has a wide open definition of the word chance. I see a lot of benefits to Scar and Mitch saying that.

CoverTwo 08-17-2014 12:56 PM

I'm not sure why anything other than "Mitch is the backup" or "Mitch is the incumbent to Thompson" is coming to a surprise to everyone. Orth and Scarnecchia are good QB prospects that just may be developing better or faster than Mitch. They also appear to be out working him.

donbgamecock 08-17-2014 01:08 PM

He looks like a Bortles to me.

Luke Skycocker 08-17-2014 01:21 PM

Highly doubtful

petecock 08-17-2014 01:25 PM

Sounds to me like his thinking is beyond next season for Scarnecchia.

Spurrier on Scarnecchia, about 1.5 minutes in, or so.

I think Mitch will continue to improve as it has paid off for him recently. Plus Connor Mitch will get valuable opportunities he hopefully takes advantage of.

I would rather see an improved and proven Mitch as our starter next year. I think if it is Scarnecchia, it indicates a fail in CM's development, and that is not good for the team.

MisterClowney 08-17-2014 01:55 PM

Kid seems like he's more focused than Mitch was as a freshman. I believe Mitch's talent will carry him to win the job for 2015, but I'm a fan of possible heavy competition for the spot.

CoverTwo 08-17-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petecock (Post 4227987)
I would rather see an improved and proven Mitch as our starter next year. I think if it is Scarnecchia, it indicates a fail in CM's development, and that is not good for the team.

How is it a failure in his development? Maybe Scarnecchia and Orth are better players. But its blasphemy to say that because Mitch had 4 stars by his name coming out of high school.

Rooster'srule 08-17-2014 03:25 PM

It never stops Garcia better than Smelly...Shaw better than Garcia...Thompson better than Shaw...Mitch better than Thompson...and now wait....wait for it.....Necky better than Mitch and Thompson :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

BiscoCocky 08-17-2014 03:33 PM

Yeah I get the feeling by February people will be back on the Noso bandwagon.

JaxcockFL 08-17-2014 03:49 PM

Competition for any spot is good for the team, including the QB spot.

carolina_corpsman 08-17-2014 03:55 PM

This is nothing but good news. competition for a starting spot will hopefully push both qbs to work even harder.

b381l 08-17-2014 04:04 PM

Mitch has taken far for reps with the 1's than Scarnecchia since camp opened.
So to compare the two at this point in time is not valid. Next spring will go a long way to determine who will be the starter next year. If Scarnecchia has a bigger arm, is accurate, and has a good grasp on the playbook, then he has a shot......it still seems like Mitch would have to take a step backwards next spring for that to happen.

CoverTwo 08-17-2014 04:10 PM

My issue is every time we get a 4 star QB, they are quickly annointed as the future. But whenever we sign a 3 or lower, it's a bunch of wtfs and it's even worse when lower rated player is seriously in the mix for the job or gets talked up more than the higher rated player.

I love signing highly rated players as much as anyone else. It's fun! But all bets are off when they get to campus. At that point it's who gives us the best chance to win and who develops the best when they get here.

If it's Mitch, fantastic.

If it's the other guys, it's an even better story (a la Connor Shaw and Dylan Thompson).

b381l 08-17-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4228090)
My issue is every time we get a 4 star QB, they are quickly annointed as the future. But whenever we sign a 3 or lower, it's a bunch of wtfs and it's even worse when lower rated player is seriously in the mix for the job or gets talked up more than the higher rated player.

I love signing highly rated players as much as anyone else. It's fun! But all bets are off when they get to campus. At that point it's who gives us the best chance to win and who develops the best when they get here.

If it's Mitch, fantastic.

If it's the other guys, it's an even better story (a la Connor Shaw and Dylan Thompson).

C2, the reason people like the 4* players better is the same reason most people bet the favorite in horse racing. What they don't realize is the favorite only wins about a third of the time. I do know that once a player gets to college, what he did in HS isn't relevant any more.

Cocky2001 08-17-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolina4Life (Post 4227958)
Spurrier said that Michael Scarnecchia has a good chance to start next season, is he hyping him up or is he really this good?

I can think of one poster that has about 12 screen names that is going to be very disappointed to read this...

CockTail 08-17-2014 04:27 PM

Michael actually lives in my neighborhood and I have seen him play in High School and talked to him several times. He even delivered Chinese food to my house a few times.

Even if he never starts at USC, you are seeing why he was recruited. The young man is very smart, works very hard, and is a great team mate. Whether he ever wins the starting job or not, he will put pressure on other QBs with his work ethic, attention to details, and coach-ability. All those thing are a great asset to this team.

He will either win the job or make someone else win it.

catdaddy66 08-17-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donbgamecock (Post 4227975)
He looks like a Bortles to me.

I thought he was more akin to a Blake Mitchell type guy with much more upside.