CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Gamecocks ranked 9th in the preseason AP Poll (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=208974)

MisterClowney 08-17-2014 02:51 PM

Gamecocks ranked 9th in the preseason AP Poll

The first AP Poll was just released this afternoon. Thoughts?

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

1. FSU
2. Bama
3. Oregon
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio State
6. Auburn
7. UCLA
8. Michigan State
9. South Carolina
10. Baylor
11. Stanford
12. Georgia
13. LSU
14. Wisconsin
15. So. Cal
16. Clemson
17. Notre Dame
18. Ole Miss
19. Arizona State
20. Kansas State
21. Texas A&M
22. Nebraska
23. UNC
24. Mizzou
25. Washington

Spurrier_Superior_One 08-17-2014 02:55 PM

Re: Gamecocks ranked 9th in the preseason AP Poll

I see the AP has one school from each of the Power 5 conferences in the Top 5. 8 ranked SEC schools no shock there as it should be.

GamecockUltimate 08-17-2014 02:56 PM

Ohio state is too high, i think mich state is too low, ucla is too high

Acockolypse Now 08-17-2014 02:57 PM

Baylor and Ohio State got exposed last year yet here they are. Stanford and Wisconsin are under-ranked.

Again.

MisterClowney 08-17-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate (Post 4228040)
Ohio state is too high, i think mich state is too low, ucla is too high

I think Auburn and Michigan State should both be ranked ahead of Ohio State.

uscgamecocks88 08-17-2014 03:27 PM

Not sold on Oklahoma quite yet

garnet_black215 08-17-2014 03:37 PM

#9 is about right. As far as the other teams, people are really sold on UCLA this year. Dark horse national title contender has been tossed around.

GamecockUltimate 08-17-2014 03:37 PM

Georgia is also over ranked. From NR to where they are. I get it, they may be good, but i cant justify moving them up that high

RudeCock 08-17-2014 03:43 PM

I see our good SOS will continue.

BiscoCocky 08-17-2014 03:45 PM

Clemson is overrated, I get it at this point overrating Clempsun is somewhat of a tradition, but I find it hard to believe that Vic Beasley and the Clempsun d are some how capable of carrying a team that loses the best qb and wr they've ever had etc.

uscgamecocks88 08-17-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate (Post 4228069)
Georgia is also over ranked. From NR to where they are. I get it, they may be good, but i cant justify moving them up that high

Georgia is always over rated. It's like that every year. Once again, the SC/UGA will be a huge factor in the east race

vthokies 08-17-2014 03:58 PM

Georgia and clemson being overrated does nothing but help of course. I don't know that I see much movement after week 1 unless major upsets.

Rooster'srule 08-17-2014 04:17 PM

It will different in January!:woo::rotfl:

kick_ball 08-17-2014 04:19 PM

1. FSU -- I'm interested to see how they handle being #1.. recent history suggest they wont go start to finish #1
2. Bama -- Tough SEC west will be interesting
3. Oregon -- still not sold but marriota could be a heisman winner
4. Oklahoma -- Ole' bob stoops will be clamoring for his team to be in the playoff but will probably drop 1 or 2 games to teams they shouldnt
5. Ohio State -- will dominate teams in the b1g ..Mich State only real challenger in conference ..interesting game ooc vs. Va tech
6. Auburn -- faces same tough SEC west
7. UCLA -- No sold at all
8. Michigan State -- tough team i really like what mark dantonio is doing will finish top 10
9. South Carolina -- toughest schedule weve had in awhile... cant drop the normal game to a team we shouldnt on the road
10. Baylor -- I tend to wonder how long they will be really competitive with their style of play or if people will figure them out .. i do like art briles though ..probably finish 15-10 somewhere
11. Stanford -- good season not enough to make the playoff in a tougher pac12
12. Georgia -- i dont see them being as good, hudson masons play had a huge impact on their game ..usually start slow
13. LSU -- Might be a tough year for them possible finish 4 -5 in the west
14. Wisconsin -- only other possible challenger to ohio state besides Michigan state.. but i doubt it
15. So. Cal -- ugh i hate they are doing better but they might have a coach that could get the job done
16. Clemson -- besides scar and fsu the UNC game may be in a tough place on the schedule... i think their schedule is top heavy second half outside of sc seems manageable
17. Notre Dame -- with the academic scandal and a really tough schedule i just dont see them finishing well 8-4 or 9-3 year
18. Ole Miss -- I have a hard time believing they finish in the top 25 this year to many other teams better in the SEC west
19. Arizona State -- 3 game stretch vs UCLA, SO Cal and Stanford decides their season... can either have a great season or continued mediocrity
20. Kansas State -- is bill synder still coaching?
21. Texas A&M -- post johnny fb will be a true test of how good coach sumlin is.. i can see a rough year if they have qb struggles
22. Nebraska -- Faux pelini > bo pelini
23. UNC -- could be a surprise team in the acc might be the only possible challenge both fsu and clemson
24. Mizzou - SEC champ game to 3-4 in the east
25. Washington - ehh i dont know enough about

eightohhthree 08-17-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 (Post 4228065)
Not sold on Oklahoma quite yet

As of now they are clearly the flagship school for the Big 12 - Baylor, how long can they sustain? We'll have to wait for Strong to get Texas turned around, which definitely happen. Texas has always had very talented kids. Charlie commands high levels of commitment and discipline, which will translate into wins.

Flameout12 08-17-2014 05:53 PM

I expect UF or UTen to make it back at some point...

vthokies 08-17-2014 06:03 PM

UF nearly made it to 25. They will be there week 2.

WeStillOwnUSC 08-17-2014 06:29 PM

LOL at 8 SEC teams in the top 25.

What a joke.

No wonder there are multiple 3 and 4 loss SEC teams ranked at the end of the year.

And yea VTHokie you're probably right, Florida will be ranked after beating Idaho and Eastern Mich. even though they finished 4-8 last year with a lost to an FCS school.

JOKE!

rosstheboss 08-17-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeStillOwnUSC (Post 4228192)
LOL at 8 SEC teams in the top 25.

What a joke.

No wonder there are multiple 3 and 4 loss SEC teams ranked at the end of the year.

And yea VTHokie you're probably right, Florida will be ranked after beating Idaho and Eastern Mich. even though they finished 4-8 last year with a lost to an FCS school.

JOKE!

Yeah teams never get better after a poor season the year before...o wait it happens all the time. Auburn was 3-9 in 2012. Florida has as much talent as any team in the country. They return one of the top defenses in the nation. If they get good qb play look out

vthokies 08-17-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosstheboss (Post 4228196)
Yeah teams never get better after a poor season the year before...o wait it happens all the time. Auburn was 3-9 in 2012. Florida has as much talent as any team in the country. They return one of the top defenses in the nation. If they get good qb play look out

Exactly.

I don't get why other fans of other conferences get mad. VT is in the ACC, clearly I want the ACC to win. But realistically I know the SEC is the best. Until the ACC wins 8 in a row, or more than 1, then I still believe SEC is best. Sorry Clemson fan but can't argue with their rings.