CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Really excited to visit the other Columbia! (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=208995)

MU Mike 08-18-2014 12:35 PM

Really excited to visit the other Columbia!

We are jumping in the family truckster and headed to Folly Beach for a family vacation in September. My wife and I planned it to coincide with the Mizzou-South Carolina game this year and I am so excited to get to see your campus and stadium. When we first joined the SEC, this was number one on my list. I have always been impressed with your team so I'm excited to finally get to visit.

In fact, there are a lot of Mizzou fans that feel the same way I do. There was an immediate respect and connection about the Gamecocks for some reason, I can't explain it. But if there's another team I root for in the SEC, it's you guys. Again, not exactly sure why but I just like your fans, your team, and especially your coach.

So, I just wanted to jump on here and get a few pointers for that weekend. I will have my wife and four young kids with me (11, 9, 5 and 5) so we can't get too crazy. But I would like to drive up on Friday and tour the campus and hit some good local spots to eat. Suggestions? I'm sure Saturday will be a madhouse so that's why I thought it would be good to see your Columbia on Friday instead.

On Saturday, where do we park and how can I see those cool rail cars?!?!?!

Also, unrelated to the game, but this is our first east coast trip and we've heard nothing but great things about Folly Beach. How will the weather be in late September?

Thanks, and good luck this season!

Carolina4Life 08-18-2014 12:38 PM

Re: Really excited to visit the other Columbia!

Come on down Mike. Mizzu fans seem to be good people. Hope it's another close game like last year, what a game. Go Cocks! Welcome to SC.

MU Mike 08-18-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolina4Life (Post 4228700)
Come on down Mike. Mizzu fans seem to be good people. Hope it's another close game like last year, what a game. Go Cocks! Welcome to SC.

Yeah, that was quite a game. I sat in the stadium for a good while after it ended trying to figure out what the hell just happened! You guys earned it and played so well in the fourth quarter.

Can't wait for September 27th! Although I hope it doesn't resemble the first time we met in Williams Brice. That was a beat down!

Emery 08-18-2014 12:43 PM

Folly's great. Eat at Taco Boy and breakfast at Lost Dog Café. Bowen's island looks like a dump, but I dig it.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but the zoo is actually pretty solid and I'm sure the kids will like it. The edventure museum is also a good spot for the kids.

MU Mike 08-18-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emery (Post 4228705)
Folly's great. Eat at Taco Boy and breakfast at Lost Dog Café. Bowen's island looks like a dump, but I dig it.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but the zoo is actually pretty solid and I'm sure the kids will like it. The edventure museum is also a good spot for the kids.

Cool, thanks for the recommendations. Every review we've read about Folly mentions Lost Dog Cafe, so it's definitely on our list.

How about in Columbia that Friday before the game? I would like to take the kids to the campus but also hit your iconic places to eat, I'm sure there are a few.

Cocky chick 08-18-2014 12:57 PM

A couple from me: despite what you hear, 5 Points is fine for a family to go during the day. Good restaurants and some good shops, too. Yesterday's is a Columbia institution - good food and if you go, don't miss the Hootie sculpture outside. Pawley's Front Porch (also in 5 Points) has killer burgers - hasn't been around nearly as long as Yesterday's, but the food is very good. Welcome! Hope you have a great visit (other than the outcome of the game, of course :)

Legalman72 08-18-2014 01:06 PM

Two years ago in Columbia the Mizzou fans were among the nicest visitors I've ever met at Carolina. Welcome!

smoovecock 08-18-2014 01:06 PM

Hell...If you are on Folly I hope the hell you go to Charleston for a day or two....

Nureye 08-18-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MU Mike (Post 4228710)
Cool, thanks for the recommendations. Every review we've read about Folly mentions Lost Dog Cafe, so it's definitely on our list.

How about in Columbia that Friday before the game? I would like to take the kids to the campus but also hit your iconic places to eat, I'm sure there are a few.

Columbia is strange in that we don't have any food icons. You should come and tour the campus for sure. The Horseshoe and the area behind the Horseshoe are a must. You can park anywhere on campus and walk.

Since you have kids, I would suggest having dinner at Carolina Ale House (Sports Pub) in the Vista or Village Idiot (Pizza) in 5 Points.

You should also check out the State Museum, State House, and EdVenture for the kids. All of this is very close to the University and Vista areas.

On Saturday, just park as close to the stadium as you can get. I prefer the Shop Rd area and then walk around to the Gamecock Village on Bluff Rd. The Cockabooses are behind the stadium. Maybe pick up some biscuits and fried chicken at BoJangles.

weatheredxtown 08-18-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nureye (Post 4228736)
You should also check out the State Museum, State House, and EdVenture for the kids. All of this is very close to the University and Vista areas.

Yes. This ^^^ my favorite places when I was younger.

Spurz 08-18-2014 01:15 PM

Can't believe no one's mentioned Groucho's Deli in Five Points yet as a food icon. Groucho's is one of my all-time favorite Columbia spots and a must for me whenever I'm in town. Cheap, delicious sandwiches.

Acockolypse Now 08-18-2014 01:22 PM

...aannnnd the Groucho's debate begins!

BlueHerons 08-18-2014 01:48 PM

Ate at Yesterdays a lot when I was in college and lived in Columbia. I'd say it was definitely and institution.

Agree to hit downtown Charleston at night.

You'll have perfect beach weather. September is the best time of year on South Carolina's beaches!

lakemurraycock 08-18-2014 01:57 PM

The weather should be fine (warm) barring hurricanes and the water will still be warm enough to swim.

MixtapeMangler 08-18-2014 02:01 PM

Roca-ways (sp.) has the best burgers in columbia (imo) but there are lots of good places to eat in the area, on game day I agree with just finding paid parking as close as you can get to the stadium, prob will spend about 20 dollars for it, so not bad, Mizz fans were some of the nicest I remember being around as well 2 years ago. The Gamecocks you will be around will be more than welcoming for the most part. Sounds like a fun Vaca, I think you you will be impressed with WB and I hope you have a great trip minus the game of course

donbgamecock 08-18-2014 02:03 PM

One recommendation: Tell people your from the University of Missouri instead of using the word "tiger". J/K

While in Charleston, take a trip over to Mt. Pleasant and have a snack or lunch on Shem Creek. If you go on the N side of the creek there is Vickeries and Waters Edge. Plus there is a nice board walk over the marsh and you can walk along the water and check out boats and wildlife in the creek. On the other side you have Reds (younger crowd) and RBs.

12+4=6 08-18-2014 02:04 PM

Welcome Mike, should be a great time. We seem to get along with you guys pretty well and I think you'll find that you'll be welcome at many tailgates, including some Cockabooses. The track runs right behind the south end of the stadium so you can't miss them. The Fairgrounds and Gamecock Park are the two major tailgating areas directly beside the stadium and are great for walking around and meeting people. Gamecock Park (aka old farmer's market) is brand new with awesome landscaping and a great recreational area with different activities for the family. Definitely a good place to set up if you can.

Food:
Pawleys Front Porch (awesome burgers, 5 points)
Yesterdays (another classic 5 points restaurant)
Anything in the Vista area (start at Assembly/Gervais intersection)
California Dreaming (good food, in an old converted railroad station)

I'm sure I'm missing a lot but it's a start.

TastyLicks 08-18-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nureye (Post 4228736)
Columbia is strange in that we don't have any food icons. You should come and tour the campus for sure. The Horseshoe and the area behind the Horseshoe are a must. You can park anywhere on campus and walk.

Since you have kids, I would suggest having dinner at Carolina Ale House (Sports Pub) in the Vista or Village Idiot (Pizza) in 5 Points.

On Saturday, just park as close to the stadium as you can get. I prefer the Shop Rd area and then walk around to the Gamecock Village on Bluff Rd. The Cockabooses are behind the stadium. Maybe pick up some biscuits and fried chicken at BoJangles.

I think Columbia has a lot of food icons, actually. As a Yankee who was a carpet bagger in college and now living back north, I got to say one the top things I miss most about Columbia was the amazing food. :)

Most of the rest of your post I agree with but I disagree on village idiot big time, kids or not. If you are a tourist and your only exposure to five points is eating crappy imitation ny-style pizza that is only best to be inhaled with your pitcher of beer - you are going to be quite disappointed!

I second the suggestion of Yesterdays that others have stated. GREAT unique southern fare.

I also definitely suggest Palmetto Pig, which has great carolina BBQ, but it is so so worth it for the experience alone :) Maybe it's not that unique to Southerners but that place was unlike any place I had ever been to. My mind was blown. When your only drink option is the pitcher of Sweet Tea on your table, you know you have arrived in a unique southern place.

I also suggest Lizards Thicket for breakfast in the morning. The kids will like it. Good breakfast food, fun name and fun place. Local diner style. I wish I was at "Liiizzzzzard's Thiiiicccket"

HeadCockFan 08-18-2014 02:07 PM

Groucho's is only an institution, nothing doing food-wise. If you want a huge lunch with local flavor, go to a BBQ joint (Docs or Palmetto Pig). If you want a burger on campus, go to Pawleys front porch. Blue Cactus is good, but not Southern. Thirsty fellow is always a good time, at any hour. Lizard's Thicket has your basic meat and three if that's your thing.

For dinner, try Blue Marlin for basic Southern coastal, Hunter-Gatherer, or for a fun crowd there's always Flying Saucer.

I love Mizzou fans. Hope you have a blast.

edit - I second: Rockaways (best value, if you can find it) and California Dreamin (Just because it looks cool, honey croissant and its next to the liquor store) Also, if you're up early enough to get breakfast, you're doing it wrong. If you have to eat early, Waffle House or Bojangles.

uscsandstorm85 08-18-2014 02:10 PM

Hopefully you get to see a night game.