CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Preparing for the smash route (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209020)

CoverTwo 08-19-2014 09:33 AM

Preparing for the smash route

With our young corners this is a play I'm a little worried about. It's one of aTm's bread and butter plays where they put trips to one side of the field. The outside receivers hold the coverage underneath with short in routes and the slot receiver closest the formation runs the corner. They eat a lot of teams up with this play and I'm guessing they run it multiple times against us especially in the endzone. Very similar to the play we run where our x receiver looks like he is jogging in place but he is holding the corner and we slip the Z behind the coverage with the fade. Virtually impossible to stop when executed.

Sumlin's passing tree is going to be an extremely tough test for our back end. They do a lot of stuff we don't see very much outside of ECU. Gotta hope that Green, Lammons, and Harris really get after it in prep because they are the guys that are going to get picked on.

Sir Cuss 08-19-2014 09:46 AM

Re: Preparing for the smash route

You can solve this with cover two, but it opens up the two deep routes on the center and outside. Just gotta time our blitzing right and hope the man-to-man is covered when we blitz.

The Yancey 08-19-2014 09:52 AM

We defend this by rattling their young QB. Make him go Tajh Boyd all over himself.

Garnet Gamecock 08-19-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4229734)
Make him go Tajh Boyd all over himself.

This!

yazoo 08-19-2014 10:08 AM

Brison (or one of the other DBs interviewed yesterday) said that A&M receivers never run the same route. Found that an interesting comment. I think our DBs know they will be severely tested.

A&M has excellent receivers and run a lot of quick passing stuff. They have a really good OL. Pressuring the sophomore is going to be tough.

Hopefully, our new blitz package can wreak havoc with the A&M line. Good thing we play them early before their coordinator has a chance to diagnose our new scheme and players.

CoverTwo 08-19-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Cuss (Post 4229727)
You can solve this with cover two, but it opens up the two deep routes on the center and outside. Just gotta time our blitzing right and hope the man-to-man is covered when we blitz.

Coverage busts are bound to happen with so many inexperienced players. That is what scares the crap out of me playing zone. You see a bunch of miscommunication between the Safeties and Corners. When we play man its basically coming down to which side of the ball has the better players.

aTm's skill guys, while inexperienced, might be some of the most talented we see all season long.

I hope Coach Ward proves me wrong and is able to get a pass rush because that is the one thing that can equalize.

Coondog 08-19-2014 11:04 AM

Isn't this why Ward has been implementing the 3-4 defense? Jam there receivers at the line and disguise blitzes.

LegalCock 08-19-2014 11:09 AM

yeah A&M is probably going to move it and score. Newbies at end and corner and sumlin's offense are not a good combo. Offense will need to ground and pound and control the ball and hopefully their rookie qb throws a pick or two.

CoverTwo 08-19-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coondog (Post 4229812)
Isn't this why Ward has been implementing the 3-4 defense? Jam there receivers at the line and disguise blitzes.

Still have to get to the QB though. This is the amount of sacks by returnees from last year:

DL: 4

Surratt - 1.5
Harris - 1.0
English - 0.5
Griffin - 0.5
Dixon, Jr. - 0.5

LB: 5.5

Roberts - 1.5
Golightly - 1.5
Lewis - 1.0
Holloman - 1.0
Moore - 0.5

Not sure who is going to bring the pressure. One would hope that English can get around 10 this year.

cockybreeyan 08-19-2014 12:47 PM

Yea, I'm more worried about getting pressure and sacks than coverage. We have athletic, talented DBs but if they have to cover for 5 seconds every play, we're gonna get killed

Regalcock 08-19-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockybreeyan (Post 4229939)
Yea, I'm more worried about getting pressure and sacks than coverage. We have athletic, talented DBs but if they have to cover for 5 seconds every play, we're gonna get killed

Pressure is key. We need to speed the game up for that young qb and get some turnovers.

Sir Cuss 08-19-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4229782)
Coverage busts are bound to happen with so many inexperienced players. That is what scares the crap out of me playing zone. You see a bunch of miscommunication between the Safeties and Corners. When we play man its basically coming down to which side of the ball has the better players.

aTm's skill guys, while inexperienced, might be some of the most talented we see all season long.

I hope Coach Ward proves me wrong and is able to get a pass rush because that is the one thing that can equalize.

Coverage busts happen? No! You don't say.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but our safeties are somewhat experienced. Provided we aren't rolling coverage, the corners won't cover the deep halves on cover 2 coverage. So . . . with no roll and no cover 3, we won't have to worry about a CB busted coverage (it will be a 5-10 yard route, not a 50 yard pass).

Coondog 08-19-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4229831)
Still have to get to the QB though. This is the amount of sacks by returnees from last year:

DL: 4

Surratt - 1.5
Harris - 1.0
English - 0.5
Griffin - 0.5
Dixon, Jr. - 0.5

LB: 5.5

Roberts - 1.5
Golightly - 1.5
Lewis - 1.0
Holloman - 1.0
Moore - 0.5

Not sure who is going to bring the pressure. One would hope that English can get around 10 this year.

Those are far from impressive numbers but the d-line only returns one starter so most of those numbers are from limited duty. And though the LB's did improve as the season progressed they really didn't start playing well until mid season if not later. Spurrier did say that last season the defense seem to play like they were waiting on Clowney to make a play.

evan_aggie 08-19-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4229782)

Nice compliments regarding our skill guys. I have maroon glasses, but I think you are right in our WR/RB guys being some of the best you see all season, save Gurley. FWIW, my confidence meter has now lowered to 25%. I'm not getting any serious fuzzy feelings about our defensive unit aside from Zaycoven Henderson, Myles Garrett, and Daeshan Hall. Our LB corps is suspect as usual, and our #1 DB is out with an injury.

rosstheboss 08-19-2014 04:30 PM

Ball control. Ball control. Ball control. The 3 keys to beating A&M. I think our ground attack of long, methodical, drives will drive the a&m offense crazy. Hopefully that, their relative inexperience at some of the skill positions, and our crowd noise will force them into some quick decisions and turnovers that ultimately lead us to victory.

Coondog 08-19-2014 04:40 PM

I think our defense has a better chance of stopping them then there's do of stopping us. It most likely won't be a high scoring game since I'm sure our offense will try to control the ground game and eat the clock. This game very well could be closer than any of us want to believe.

CockyLifer 08-19-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4229734)
We defend this by rattling their young QB. Make him go Tajh Boyd all over himself.

Ding Ding Ding!

GarnetBlack&Blue 08-19-2014 05:47 PM

Honestly, I think they are going to move the ball really easily on us through the air...

I'm hoping their lack of experience and our athleticism at LB can cause some turnovers, if we can avoid giving up big plays and force the action towards the middle of the field. Ironically this had killed us in the past, but I think this is best group of LBs we've ever had in pass protection.

I see this as the kind of game the defense just needs to survive and the offense needs to be efficient.

EDIT: Very glad this is a home game, that's our best chance of rattling their QB, I don't see the line getting a ton of pressure.

2ND EDIT: I'M SO GLAD WE ARE GETTING THIS CLOSE AND WE CAN TALK ABOUT ACTUAL GAMES THAT ARE ACTUALLY ABOUT TO HAPPEN

BiscoCocky 08-19-2014 05:54 PM

The most glaring problem w ATMs defensive is their inability to tackle, I think mike d will have a good game, also feel like wilds could have a real good night. Lsu used the power run and the deep ball in the middle, two things we do well. Does go lightly play in the 3-4, he's decent in coverage (as our most of lbs) i love the thought him of rerouting these wrs getting them off their timing. Hopefully Brinson, playing cb helps here in terms picking up the proper man. I like the fact that our coaching staff did Oklahoma drills this year, if we can get after ATM early and often we have the personal to control the game.

We've beaten flashy teams like Clempsun by punching them in mouth, using our run game, and being more physical than them. Maybe I'm wearing garnet glasses but I think we should be able to impose our will on them by the 4qtr by sticking to our mo of being physical, fast, and aggressive.

GarnetSwarm1990 08-19-2014 06:06 PM

Controlling the T.O.P and keeping their offense off the field will be the best defense. They are going to get yards, plain and simple. That offense is all about racking up as many yards as possible. So keeping them off the field and making them play from behind will be essential.