CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Article on Shaw & the Browns QB merry-go-round (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209116)

romancock 08-21-2014 03:21 PM

Article on Shaw & the Browns QB merry-go-round

Check it out here.

KEmmrich 08-21-2014 03:26 PM

Re: Article on Shaw & the Browns QB merry-go-round

Quote:

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam reportedly told general manager Mike Farmer to "pull the trigger" and draft the two time Heisman winner from College Station.
Dang, the accuracy and writing of just about everyone is at rock bottom these days.

18IsTheMan 08-21-2014 03:46 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. The Browns and Pettine have NOTHING at all to lose by letting Shaw start and play the first couple or three series in a preseason game. His performance on Monday earned him that. Worst case scenario: you find out your 3rd/4th string QB isn't starter/backup material and you send him back to the bench. Best case scenario: you find out a QB you picked up for next to nothing can be a starter. So, either way, you find out what you've got.

If Shaw had just looked ok on Monday I don't think this would be an issue. Or, if either Hoyer or Manziel had looked lights out, it wouldn't have mattered what Shaw looked like. But when you consider that both Hoyer and Manziel have looked like crap in both games so far, when Shaw came on and hit pretty much everything and did it with crispness and accuracy, I have to think it makes the coaches want to take a look.

SCohioBoy 08-21-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEmmrich (Post 4232159)
Dang, the accuracy and writing of just about everyone is at rock bottom these days.

"Dallas Texans"

18IsTheMan 08-21-2014 04:02 PM

And, the obvious reality is that Shaw gave his performance while getting nowhere near the number of reps in practice as Hoyer and Manziel.

BlueHerons 08-21-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEmmrich (Post 4232159)

And this person is a sports writer?

What sport? Dodgeball?

Legalman72 08-21-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCohioBoy (Post 4232193)
"Dallas Texans"

I'm a big fan.

JerseyBird 08-21-2014 04:24 PM

Maybe The Ocho is hiring?

USCfootball 08-21-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan (Post 4232209)
And, the obvious reality is that Shaw gave his performance while getting nowhere near the number of reps in practice as Hoyer and Manziel.

Thanks for your accurate practice report. I'm sure you were there.

JTsecSC 08-21-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCfootball (Post 4232287)

Go look up any beat writer or reporter for the browns and tell us how much you find on Shaw. He's a 4th string udfa and you are hassling a poster for suggesting he doesn't get as many reps as the two players in he most publicized qb battle in the NFL this preseason.

Although none of us were physically at Browns' practice, we can read the practice tweets from reporters, the reports from fans on the web and message boards, and the articles from writers. Shaw didn't even play until the last minutes of the 2nd preseason game so we already know Hoyer and Manziel were on the field much longer - which means more reps.

18IsTheMan 08-21-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Nope. Wasn't there at all. It's pretty much common knowledge that the starter and backup get the lion's share of practice snaps. 3rd string/4th string/practice squad types get the scraps.

Rooster McGee 08-21-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCohioBoy (Post 4232193)
"Dallas Texans"

you have no idea how offensive that is to a Houstonian!

eightohhthree 08-21-2014 06:08 PM

Dylan who speaks to Shaw on a daily basis said that Shaw wasn't getting 1st team reps. That is second hand information, but I would trust that over a tweet from a beat writer.

OldPat 08-22-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Inductive reasoning, anyone?

A. Pilgrim 08-22-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Its pretty widely understood that QBs who enter the game in the 4th quarter of the preseason don't get nearly as many reps in practice as the guys ahead of them.

This isn't complicated.