CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   As things currently stand, has the SOS era lived up to the hype? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209121)

CockyClint 08-21-2014 03:55 PM

As things currently stand, has the SOS era lived up to the hype?

...in other words, if SOS decided to call it quits tomorrow, would you be able to honestly say to yourself: "yep, it was all I had hoped for and more!"....OR does all of the hype which surrounded his hire basically "DEMAND" at least one outright SEC title to make you feel as though he fulfilled his promise? What say you, Gamecock Nation? :football::clap::wink::wink:

Mr. Burns 08-21-2014 03:57 PM

Re: As things currently stand, has the SOS era lived up to the hype?

One SEC title for sure.

BiscoCocky 08-21-2014 04:03 PM

Sec title would be nice, but winning the east in 2010 was big start for program. I don't think people realize how much easier winning the sec was in the 90s when he was at uf. Bama was in disarray, Lsu was coached by an incompetent, Ugas coach makes Richt look like bear Bryant, Tennessee could beat everybody but Florida, and the less said about our program the better. Msu and Arky were the big boys of the west, just let that sink in and think about how much more of a competitive conference the sec is now.

CoverTwo 08-21-2014 04:04 PM

Well as far as wins and program firsts its hard to argue with the results so far. Only thing that is missing there is that elusive first SEC Championship.

However, I don't think Coach Spurrier has lived up to expectations in regards to offensive production and recruiting. I didn't expect him to go through that period where he waffled with the play calling (2007 - 2009). I also expected to have a few more difference makers at the skill positions.

Overall though he has done a wonderful job. If he can keep to team together and keep recruiting at the current level they are experiencing, I think he can make a run at the National Championship in 2016. Even though its so far off, that 2016 team is going to be absolutely loaded.

Thundercocks- Ho! 08-21-2014 04:05 PM

What he has accomplished has been nothing short of amazing. Also I have to believe that if the state of SC had a much talent as Florida he would have already won the SEC. It has taken a long time and a lot of hard work to get the national recognition it takes to pull top recruits from other states.

JulesWinnfield90 08-21-2014 04:06 PM

god forbid anyone say no...let the lynching begin

Nureye 08-21-2014 04:10 PM

The answer is yes. He has proven that you can win here consistently, and beat Clemson.

That's all I ever wanted for this program.

The day he arrived at Carolina I told everyone that would listen that if SOS couldn't win here no one could, and that we might as well all become LSU fans.

18IsTheMan 08-21-2014 04:14 PM

Has it lived up to the INITIAL hype? No, not yet. I think most Gamecock fans envisioned us being at our current point 2 or 3 years into Spurrier's tenure. Obviously, it took much longer to get here. And, equally as obvious, the expectations of the fans were unrealistic. Because of the quick success Holtz experienced, I don't think any fan truly understood the kind of work there was to be done. Thankfully, SOS wasn't out to get some quick short-lived success but set about building the program from the ground up, essentially starting from scratch.

This shouldn't be confused with asking whether Spurrier's tenure has been successful. By any measure, that is an undeniable "absolutely."

JulesWinnfield90 08-21-2014 04:14 PM

from an objective standpoint, you gotta say absolutely. Your program was in the sewer, and spurrier made it relevant again. That alone should be enough

tpep 08-21-2014 04:16 PM

I have to agree with Cisco and C2. we have most definitely made huge strides compared to where we were when Lou left and even before his arrival. however, the elusive SEC championship is still out there. are we there yet? nope are we closer to grabbing the ring-OH YES!!!:football::woo::wink:

Flameout12 08-21-2014 04:18 PM

I never saw any real hype beyond the ususal fan hype.

I do think HBC has proven he's much more than a once-upon-a-time offensive genius and has gotten better at being a HBC since he first started here.

He is the face of Gamecock football and most of us have fallen in love with his folksy kind of coaching, which trancends the great players that are passing through the program.

He certainly has won me over and is by and far my favorite football coach of all time.

tpep 08-21-2014 04:26 PM

had a Clemson fan tell me the other day that he absolutely loved Coach Spurrier but hated the school that signed his paychecks. to me, that spoke volumes about Spurrier and our program

18IsTheMan 08-21-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan (Post 4232227)
Has it lived up to the INITIAL hype? No, not yet. I think most Gamecock fans envisioned us being at our current point 2 or 3 years into Spurrier's tenure. Obviously, it took much longer to get here. And, equally as obvious, the expectations of the fans were unrealistic. Because of the quick success Holtz experienced, I don't think any fan truly understood the kind of work there was to be done. Thankfully, SOS wasn't out to get some quick short-lived success but set about building the program from the ground up, essentially starting from scratch.

This shouldn't be confused with asking whether Spurrier's tenure has been successful. By any measure, that is an undeniable "absolutely."

On the flip side, I don't think most in the media and sports world gave SOS much of a chance here at all (Most famously, Lee Corso). So if you're talking about those expectations, then absolutely yes he has lived up to it and far exceeded it.

Emery 08-21-2014 04:29 PM

No...he's done a lot but 10 years from now other fans won't remember 11 win seasons. All that will be there is a lack of SEC championships.

If he leaves without a championship it will be consider successful but with a big "yeah, but..." at the end.

12+4=6 08-21-2014 04:30 PM

Yes.

The 11 win seasons have been great and all but the most important thing Spurrier has done is lay an extremely strong foundation. We are now known as a top team, are contenders every year, and are a break or two away from winning the SEC and earning a spot in the playoff. The improvements in the culture, facilities, branding, and national recognition we've seen since he arrived cannot be overstated.

I think we win an SEC title and make the playoff before he leaves, but even if we don't he's been the best thing to ever happen to our program.

gamecock88 08-21-2014 04:31 PM

I think we should fire him this season if no sec championship. Set the tone for the next coach that continued mediocrity will no be accepted. Fire Spurrier and we show we can fire anyone. kidding, he's done a great job with things so far.

Gamecocks1137 08-21-2014 04:32 PM

I'd say yeh. Maybe not in the traditional sense of winning the SEC Title, but the things that have happened over the last 5 years have been pretty outstanding. The players we have seen come through the program have also been almost more than surprising. Clowney, Lattimore, Gilmore, Ingram, Jeffery, Sanders, Ellington, Shaw, Davis, DJ Swearinger, Kelcy Quarles etc... Those are big time players who make big time plays. If we can win the SEC Title I think he not only surpasses the hype, but goes down as the greatest coach in SEC history.

BlueHerons 08-22-2014 11:46 AM

I stood in the stands when we were going through the 0-21 period. I remember the Sparky Woods and Brad Scott era.

I remember when South Carolina football was a joke on a national stage.

Now? It STILL blows my mind when we are mentioned as a SEC contender and a dark horse for the NC.

Has the HBC lived up to his expectations?

I never dreamed we'd get this far.

G&B 08-22-2014 12:24 PM

Regardless of the past records at SC, when SOS came here I expected championship(s). I figured we would have one (at least) within 10 years so yes a bit of a letdown. Holtz was more of a letdown however...

I think getting a championship is what keeps sos motivated, since it has been so long, I think he is gone after he gets one. And I do think he gets one.

StretfordEnd 08-22-2014 12:34 PM

He has absolutely lived up to expectations, imo. Anyone that was expecting an instant change - and this isn't a shot at anyone - was being unrealistic. This program was absolute dog crap when he arrived, and nothing more. Look at what he has done to it.