CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   SEC East QB's Ranked (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209134)

topcock77 08-21-2014 09:35 PM

SEC East QB's Ranked
 
http://greatamericansportsnetwork.co...-quarterbacks/ Thoughts? I would put Thompson at number 1 ahead of Maty Mauk (he beat him head to head last year...sort of) but other than that it seems about right. If I were UK I would have started the freshman Barker I think.

Take-a-Knee 08-21-2014 09:46 PM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
Worley will break some hearts this year , I hope it ain't ours

sanford 08-21-2014 09:49 PM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee (Post 4232522)
Worley will break some hearts this year , I hope it ain't ours

not with his offensive line.

uscGRAD04 08-21-2014 09:50 PM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
Tenn. Lost their entire Off and Def line. Gonna be a rough year for them

COCKDIESEL 08-21-2014 09:55 PM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee (Post 4232522)
Worley will break some hearts this year , I hope it ain't ours

He may line up in punt formation to give himself some time to get a pass off.

StretfordEnd 08-21-2014 10:02 PM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
If their line can give him enough time to get a pass off, Worley definitely has some weapons to throw at in Marquez North, Von Pearson, and Josh Malone.

SuperCockMaster 08-21-2014 10:03 PM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
Thompson above Mauk all day. I think Driskel should be at the bottom. I also think Worley should be ahead of or tied with Mason because Mason hasn't proven squat. I also think Towles is legit and should be ranked higher than last. I mean how do three Vandy guys who suck rank ahead of a 6'5 guy with a cannon arm? It doesn't make much sense.

bigoleCOCK3521 08-21-2014 11:15 PM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
if Mauk had the weapons this year that he had last season i would MAYBE have him above Dylan. but as that's not the case.. Dylan numero uno.

plus-- Dylan beats teams and can put up the same numbers as anybody, if not better, with no receivers over 6 foot.

sanford 08-21-2014 11:19 PM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigoleCOCK3521 (Post 4232595)
if Mauk had the weapons this year that he had last season i would MAYBE have him above Dylan. but as that's not the case.. Dylan numero uno.

plus-- Dylan beats teams and can put up the same numbers as anybody, if not better, with no receivers over 6 foot.

not talking smack, because I like the kid and think he has some talent.

however, before we make a claim like that we need to think back to the Missouri game. if Shaw would not have been available then Dylan would have finished making his mess that he started.

YouCanNeverTell 08-21-2014 11:37 PM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanford (Post 4232596)
not talking smack, because I like the kid and think he has some talent.

however, before we make a claim like that we need to think back to the Missouri game. if Shaw would not have been available then Dylan would have finished making his mess that he started.

Dylan didn't have a bad game. Davis's fumbles killed us. Dylan was 15/27 222 yds 1 Int. Mauk was 10/25 249 1 TD 1 Int and the one TD was 96 yds. Dylan played a better game than Mauk. It just wasn't being reflected on the score board.

Jwilson 08-21-2014 11:58 PM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanford (Post 4232526)
not with his offensive line.

True, dat. They just moved a freshman defensive lineman over to offense. It must be bad at rocky top.

GamecockUltimate 08-22-2014 03:26 AM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
Mauk above thompson, sorry be objective folks

ReadR00ster 08-22-2014 04:38 AM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by YouCanNeverTell (Post 4232610)
Dylan didn't have a bad game. Davis's fumbles killed us. Dylan was 15/27 222 yds 1 Int. Mauk was 10/25 249 1 TD 1 Int and the one TD was 96 yds. Dylan played a better game than Mauk. It just wasn't being reflected on the score board.


Fumbles, drops, wr not getting their feet in bounds. Our wr were used to the way Shaw throws the ball with more touch a less zip, now they will be adjusted to Thompsons throwing style with Shaw out of the way.

InletCock1989 08-22-2014 07:54 AM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by topcock77 (Post 4232508)
http://greatamericansportsnetwork.co...-quarterbacks/ Thoughts? I would put Thompson at number 1 ahead of Maty Mauk (he beat him head to head last year...sort of) but other than that it seems about right. If I were UK I would have started the freshman Barker I think.

Technically, Connor Shaw beat him...but the record will say Dylan.

Gamecock in TX 08-22-2014 09:37 AM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate (Post 4232691)
Mauk above thompson, sorry be objective folks

Let's be objective then. Dylan has more attempts, more completions, a higher completion %, more TDs and more experience than Mauk. For all the premature hype related to him last year, Mauk didn't beat a single bowl eligible team. Against Carolina he was 10-25 for 225 and a TD on his home field, and those numbers are skewed due to a 96 yard TD pass.

Mauk barely completed 50% of his passes, which if not improved will be a huge propblem for their offense. Part of the advantage of going up tempo is not allowing the defense to substitute. Incomplete passes will limit their ability to do that. He is more of a gunslinger than Dylan and will win a ton of games, but you can't count on that week to week. It will let you down, it is only a matter of time and when, not if.

For all the talk about Dylan in the Mizzou game, people forget we moved the ball inside their 30 yard line of 4/8 possessions with Dylan in the game. To not come away with any points is the exception, not the norm. The fumbles were huge. He passed for 225 yards in 2.5 quarters.

Do both need to improve, of course. Due to the losses of many of their playmakers, in my opinion more will be asked of Mauk in Mizzou's offense than will be of Thompson. Mauk may have a greater upside, but he is far from it at this point.

Stonecoldcock 08-22-2014 10:19 AM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4232696)
Fumbles, drops, wr not getting their feet in bounds. Our wr were used to the way Shaw throws the ball with more touch a less zip, now they will be adjusted to Thompsons throwing style with Shaw out of the way.

I'm not quite sure where this perception comes from, only thing I can think is because Connor is more of a hybrid qb and not expected to be as good a passer, and Dylan being the drop back qb therefore must have the stronger arm, etc. Especially on the intermediate to long throws Connor almost always threw his balls on a line, and Dylan always seemed to like to put more air under his throws which drove me crazy. As a former QB I can tell you for sure its a lot easier to aim a pass when you're throwing it on a line than when you're putting air under the ball, and then look at Shaw vs Thompson's completion %. Thompson was better last year than 2012 in this area, but imo, he can still improve his completion % even more if he stops lofting his intermediate/deep passes so much, and gets them there quicker, which I expect to see continued improvement in this area, and I'm hoping Thompson will be comfortably over 60% completion this year.

05USCGrad 08-22-2014 10:21 AM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
1. mauk
2. Thompson
3. Worley (too bad he won't have an OL)
4. mason
5. driskel
6. vandy
7. towles

MU Mike 08-22-2014 11:07 AM

Re: SEC East QB's Ranked
 
I would put Thompson ahead of Mauk, and obviously I'm a huge Mauk fan. But Mauk's completion percentage has to improve. There were times last year where he looked like he was just "winging it", and he probably was since he was thrown into the fire. He had the very good fortune of being able to just throw the ball up and DGB or L'Damian would find a way to bring it down.

We don't have those two this year, and they were really good WR's for us.

From what I've seen so far, we've practiced more 2 TE, 2 RB sets than I've ever seen us run, so perhaps the coaches are hoping that a steady running game will take some pressure off of Mauk so he doesn't feel like he has to do everything back there.

Mauk certainly has the "it" factor, but whether that translates into continuous improvement remains to be seen.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.