CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   WR Depth Chart/Rotation (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209141)

bcgibson75 08-22-2014 03:12 AM

WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
Looks like WR Coach 'Bubba' Spurrier has his guys that are going to play next Thursday. Think DThompson will have good mix of guys to throw to this season.

We pretty much knew Googer & Shaq Davidson were going to redshirt (still likely)...but I'm very surprised that Deebo Samual didn't crack the top 8 in the WR corps after all the good things I've read & heard coming out of fall camp. Wonder if he'll be primarily a ST player early in the season OR is redshirt still a possibility?? Very curious on this situation.

GO COCKS!!

Quote:

Steve Spurrier Jr. identified his receiver rotation for A&M.

The top four are Shaq Roland, Pharoh Cooper, Nick Jones and Damiere Byrd. Shamier Jeffery and K.J. Brent will be Nos. 5-6, while Kane Whitehurst and Carlton Heard will be 7-8.

SuperCockMaster 08-22-2014 03:14 AM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcgibson75 (Post 4232688)
Looks like WR Coach 'Bubba' Spurrier has his guys that are going to play next Thursday. Think DThompson will have good mix of guys to throw to this season.

We pretty much knew Googer & Shaq Davidson were going to redshirt (still likely)...but I'm very surprised that Deebo Samual didn't crack the top 8 in the WR corps after all the good things I've read & heard coming out of fall camp. Wonder if he'll be primarily a ST player early in the season OR is redshirt still a possibility?? Very curious on this situation.

GO COCKS!!

Looks like Shamier won't get his shot until next season. It's good we have so much depth! :woo:

Regalcock 08-22-2014 04:47 AM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCockMaster (Post 4232689)
Looks like Shamier won't get his shot until next season. It's good we have so much depth! :woo:

#5 & #6 will get some chances but cannot drop the ball or the coach will go to #7 and so on. Gotta make some plays and show your value for more pt.

ConwayGamecock 08-22-2014 05:35 AM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcgibson75 (Post 4232688)
Looks like WR Coach 'Bubba' Spurrier has his guys that are going to play next Thursday. Think DThompson will have good mix of guys to throw to this season.

We pretty much knew Googer & Shaq Davidson were going to redshirt (still likely)...but I'm very surprised that Deebo Samual didn't crack the top 8 in the WR corps after all the good things I've read & heard coming out of fall camp. Wonder if he'll be primarily a ST player early in the season OR is redshirt still a possibility?? Very curious on this situation.

GO COCKS!!

I imagine it's just a case of Deebo not being fully down with the playbook yet....he could still rise up during the season if he learns the routes well enough, similar to how Alshon got more PT his freshman season (not saying that Deebo has a Alshon-like season). I can see him jump past both Kane and Carlton after the first few weeks. If it goes too far however, he could be red-shirted unless they use him extensively in STs - the WR depth for 2014 doesn't necessarily mandate any true freshman taking the field, unless we have a rash of injuries which I sure hope we don't....

He's got to prove that he's too good to be red-shirted, like Pharoh did last season....

crowcutta 08-22-2014 10:56 AM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
not too surprising that we're going to roll with the veterans in the opener. sos jr said after about 2 or 3 weeks we'll likely know who will redshirt out of the freshmen wr's. i dont think we're going to rush samuel out there on special teams either. i want to say cooper didnt get his first action as a returner until the arkansas game.

fridayserv 08-22-2014 02:00 PM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
Can someone tell me what is up with 6'8 Matt Harvey. I saw the kid play in High School, this is his 3rd year in Columbia. This kid can play, He looks bigger and stronger after two years in S&C. He caught a few balls in the Spring game. Any real information out there.

CoverTwo 08-22-2014 02:09 PM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
He is a walk-on that can't beat out scholarship players.

CoverTwo 08-22-2014 02:11 PM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
Not much surprise with this rotation outside of Samuel.

I'm guessing this is the rotation:

X - Roland / Jeffery
Z - Cooper / Brent
B - Jones / Byrd

ZenUSC 08-22-2014 02:22 PM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4232987)
Not much surprise with this rotation outside of Samuel.

I'm guessing this is the rotation:

X - Roland / Jeffery
Z - Cooper / Brent
B - Jones / Byrd

Nick Jones just keeps on ticking. I don't remember him as turning heads when we signed him yet he has been important to our offense for years.

Goofyboy 08-22-2014 02:29 PM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
I'm pretty sure Byrd starts unless they open with 2 tight ends. Jones might be preferred on running plays. Also, I seem to remember them liking to try Byrd on some sort of jet sweep early in games.

CoverTwo 08-22-2014 02:30 PM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofyboy (Post 4232999)
I'm pretty sure Byrd starts unless they open with 2 tight ends. Jones might be preferred on running plays.

From what I can gather, Byrd is going to rotate all 3 spots. Just plug him in where he creates a mismatch.

Roosterboy 08-22-2014 02:38 PM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
I think Deebo not being their is a testament to the depth.

But, if one of our guys starts to struggle, I wouldn't be surprised to see Deebo take the field maybe midseason (a lot like how Pharoh Cooper did).

Roosterboy 08-22-2014 02:40 PM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4232987)
Not much surprise with this rotation outside of Samuel.

I'm guessing this is the rotation:

X - Roland / Jeffery
Z - Cooper / Brent
B - Jones / Byrd

Agree.
Nick Jones seems to be Thompson's safety blanket.
Also seems like Thompson likes throwing the Jerrell Adams too from the practice reports.

Acockolypse Now 08-22-2014 02:43 PM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
Not flashy, but a solid bunch. Roland has a shot at an Alshon type year.

Mt. Lattimore 08-22-2014 02:46 PM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now (Post 4233016)
Not flashy, but a solid bunch. Roland has a shot at an Alshon type year.

Roland
Byrd
Cooper

have plenty of flash

CackDiesel 08-22-2014 03:30 PM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4233001)
From what I can gather, Byrd is going to rotate all 3 spots. Just plug him in where he creates a mismatch.

Old school Spurrier, create a mismatch. If we can consistently pick on the weakest link with Byrd this offense will score a lot of points.

ZenUSC 08-22-2014 04:19 PM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roosterboy (Post 4233013)
Agree.
Nick Jones seems to be Thompson's safety blanket.
Also seems like Thompson likes throwing the Jerrell Adams too from the practice reports.

This will be the first time we will see what the results will be for putting the TEs under Coach Mangus' responsibility.

Order 66 08-23-2014 12:41 AM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
Pharaoh Cooper 4 run.

Cockfanga 08-28-2014 08:14 PM

Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation
 
I still have a problem with them not using Byrd or Whitehurst when they can stretch the field and open things up underneath or let Dylan let it fly deep. Those two....not sure too many DB's can run with them. Jeez, it will even open up the running game more. Whatever - Spurrier makes a lot more money than I do :-)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.