CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   THE OFFICIAL ICEBUCKET CHALLENGE THREAD (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209143)

spareparts 08-22-2014 07:53 AM

THE OFFICIAL ICEBUCKET CHALLENGE THREAD
 
I found this article about the ice bucket challenge. It was started by one guy with a personal mission and then it blew up.

Check this out:

Quote:

A reported $31.5 million has been raised for the national ALS foundation since the Ice Bucket Challenge began on July 29 versus $1.9 million in 2012.

That's awesome, They have raised 30 times more than their whole total from 2012 in a single month!

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local...enge/14357221/

The Yancey 08-22-2014 09:00 AM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
If people would make a donation to see me get a bucket I would do it. Maybe even at the Tennessee tailgate.

A. Pilgrim 08-22-2014 09:02 AM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
Actually, I saw it circulating around social media back in late spring, but it wasn't specific to ALS. The ice bucket challenge was originally about "your charity of choice"

This guy just chose ALS, and somehow the challenge became associated with that specific disease, which is fine.

TKE226 08-22-2014 09:24 AM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
I just saw an article on Good Morning America that public officials were supposed to be banned from doing this because they are public officials benefitting private companies or something like that...man people want to bitch about anything.

Let people do what they want. I have a neighbor that works at Hopkins doing ALS research. She is pretty happy about the movement...job security.

A. Pilgrim 08-22-2014 09:45 AM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKE226 (Post 4232766)
I just saw an article on Good Morning America that public officials were supposed to be banned from doing this because they are public officials benefitting private companies or something like that...man people want to bitch about anything.

Everyone loves to harp on these types of things, but then freak out when there's any instances of corruption.

We've gotta have our cake, and eat it too!

2000grad 08-22-2014 10:24 AM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
Charlie Sheen's was the best...he dumped $10,000 on himself and then challenged other celebrities to do the same

cocky0 08-22-2014 11:00 AM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4232804)
Charlie Sheen's was the best...he dumped $10,000 on himself and then challenged other celebrities to do the same

He should have dropped $10,000 in loose change on his head.

ColaCock 08-22-2014 11:16 AM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim (Post 4232752)
Actually, I saw it circulating around social media back in late spring, but it wasn't specific to ALS. The ice bucket challenge was originally about "your charity of choice"

This guy just chose ALS, and somehow the challenge became associated with that specific disease, which is fine.

That is what confused me. I was like...wait, didn't I ALREADY see everyone doing this on my Facebook feed? Please don't start this up again...then I'm seeing it everyday multiple times now.

Problem is I know most of the people aren't donating because they are broke or would have no clue (believe it or not) *how* to donate to a specific organization unless there was someone taking collections while they walked into Walmart.

uscjeremynca 08-22-2014 11:22 AM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
ESPN did a story Sunday night on the Boston College baseball player who is the man behind the ice bucket challenge - Pete Frates. Chris Kennedy started it but it was Pete Frates that got it going viral. Very touching video about his story.

He got married last year and his first child is due in September. 2 1/2 years after being diagnosed, he can't walk or talk. Go watch the video - it's worth it.

Here's the story and video from ESPN - http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/1...cket-challenge

thekob 08-22-2014 12:31 PM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
According to wikipedia it originally was a "cold water challenge".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Bucket_Challenge

I've heard that it started with pro golfers just daring each other to do something or donate to the charity of their choice. ALS charity ran with it and it became ALS-centric.

Either way good cause I guess. I've seen versions where you either do the ice bucket thing OR donate money, and others where you donate $10 and do the ice bucket thing OR donate $100. It seems kind of silly that a bunch of people are just dumping ice water on their head to avoid giving to charity, but whatever makes 'em happy and some good obviously comes from it. I'm going to do it myself labor day weekend...holding off for two weeks, and it'll be a convienent way to empty the coolers after my daughter's 3rd bday party. IMO it'd be silly to buy ice to avoid donating to a charity...

robgusc76 08-22-2014 12:59 PM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
Im not big on internet fads, but this has been incredible.

Acockolypse Now 08-22-2014 03:03 PM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
I absolutely love it. I'm in California right now, but when I get back I'm going to do it (I was called out this week by one of my good friends).

I was also going to start a Cockytalk-specific challenge around one of the games this year. We could all meet up, tailgate, and record a video prior to the game.

Anyone interested?

Regalcock 08-22-2014 03:03 PM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
http://www.lowbird.com/data/images/2...ad-akhyxqr.jpg

The Yancey 08-22-2014 03:13 PM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now (Post 4233028)
I absolutely love it. I'm in California right now, but when I get back I'm going to do it (I was called out this week by one of my good friends).

I was also going to start a Cockytalk-specific challenge around one of the games this year. We could all meet up, tailgate, and record a video prior to the game.

Anyone interested?

I suggest the Tennessee game since that is our Ultimate Tailgate weekend.

markp_vip 08-22-2014 03:51 PM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4233038)
I suggest the Tennessee game since that is our Ultimate Tailgate weekend.

I'll second that.

05USCGrad 08-22-2014 04:01 PM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
I thought it was created to get girls to participate in a wet t-shirt contest without them realizing it

uscjeremynca 08-22-2014 04:10 PM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now (Post 4233028)
I absolutely love it. I'm in California right now, but when I get back I'm going to do it (I was called out this week by one of my good friends).

I was also going to start a Cockytalk-specific challenge around one of the games this year. We could all meet up, tailgate, and record a video prior to the game.

Anyone interested?

Where are you in California right now?

spareparts 08-22-2014 04:50 PM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by uscjeremynca (Post 4233099)
Where are you in California right now?

He's in Korea

JerseyBird 08-22-2014 04:56 PM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4233144)
He's in Korea

I saw where you did that

ccured 08-22-2014 04:56 PM

Re: The history of the ice bucket challenge
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by uscjeremynca (Post 4232847)
ESPN did a story Sunday night on the Boston College baseball player who is the man behind the ice bucket challenge - Pete Frates. Chris Kennedy started it but it was Pete Frates that got it going viral. Very touching video about his story.

He got married last year and his first child is due in September. 2 1/2 years after being diagnosed, he can't walk or talk. Go watch the video - it's worth it.

Here's the story and video from ESPN - http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/1...cket-challenge

His friend that started it in his honor died last week in a freak diving accident. He was like 28 or something


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.