CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE) (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209256)

Spurticus 08-25-2014 07:16 AM

One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE)
 
Vote For Your Favorite Song Between These Two:

Seed # 8: STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU ~ Stealers Wheel





Seed # 25: NAH NAH, HEY HEY KISS HIM GOODBYE ~ Steam




(Full Tournament Bracket)

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209254

Spurticus 08-25-2014 07:32 AM

Re: One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE)
 
I liked both of these songs a lot.

I like STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU more so

I voted for Stealers Wheel in this matchup

JerseyBird 08-25-2014 08:53 AM

Re: One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE)
 
Stealers Wheel did have another Top 40 hit - "Star" hit #29 (yeah I don't remember it either), so Steam it is for me :cocky:

spareparts 08-25-2014 10:37 AM

Re: One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyBird (Post 4235127)
Stealers Wheel did have another Top 40 hit - "Star" hit #29 (yeah I don't remember it either), so Steam it is for me :cocky:

Star was/is a great song

Anyway I voted for stuck in the middle. The other song is not really a good overall song. And it loses its appeal unless you're at a football game and your team is administering a blowout.

JerseyBird 08-25-2014 01:38 PM

Re: One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE)
 
Will have to check it out. Maybe if I heard it I would remember. Sorry for the quick rush to judgment :-x

GarnetInChicago 08-25-2014 04:30 PM

Re: One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE)
 
Man, the combover and moustache combination on that singer for Steam....wow.

JerseyBird 08-26-2014 07:00 AM

Re: One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4235216)
Star was/is a great song

Just checked it out - definitely don't remember it (would have remembered the kazoo for sure). Was not overly impressed on the first listen, but glad you enjoy it :cocky:

Transmaniacon 08-26-2014 07:18 AM

Re: One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyBird (Post 4235127)
Stealers Wheel did have another Top 40 hit - "Star" hit #29 (yeah I don't remember it either), so Steam it is for me :cocky:

The singer and songwriter in Stealers Wheel (and of this tune), Gerry Rafferty, also had solo hits--Baker Street being the most well-known. I don't know how that figures into the legitimacy of OHW status. Regardless, I voted for Stealers Wheel. Better song, and I figure the window for protest is closed once the tournament is underway.

Spurticus 08-26-2014 07:23 AM

Re: One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyBird (Post 4236154)
Just checked it out - definitely don't remember it (would have remembered the kazoo for sure). Was not overly impressed on the first listen, but glad you enjoy it :cocky:

For as much into Rock / R&B / Blues from the mid 60s through the 70s
and 80s that I was I can honestly say I'd never heard Star until I checked it out
on YouTube this morning. I can also honestly say I can't understand how
it got to #29 in the American Charts. I guess Stuck In The Middle With
You was just such a monster hit for them that they could have recorded
a version of the Mah nah mah nah song and it would have cracked the
top 40

JerseyBird 08-26-2014 08:43 AM

Re: One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transmaniacon (Post 4236155)
The singer and songwriter in Stealers Wheel (and of this tune), Gerry Rafferty, also had solo hits--Baker Street being the most well-known. I don't know how that figures into the legitimacy of OHW status. Regardless, I voted for Stealers Wheel. Better song, and I figure the window for protest is closed once the tournament is underway.

Spurt did establish that different configurations counted as different acts, for which I in turn nominated USA For Africa :grin:

And one of the possible criteria of a OHW is for one song to overshadow all other work by the act, which would certainly qualify in this case, but I prefer the stricter definition of one Top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100. Just my preference and I protest, I mean vote, accordingly :thumbsup:

JerseyBird 08-26-2014 08:50 AM

Re: One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurticus (Post 4236156)
I can also honestly say I can't understand how
it got to #29 in the American Charts. I guess Stuck In The Middle With
You was just such a monster hit for them that they could have recorded
a version of the Mah nah mah nah song and it would have cracked the
top 40

There's quite a few songs that were huge hits back in the day that warrant a "what were we thinking?" now.

A couple I can think of offhand:





spareparts 08-26-2014 10:10 AM

Re: One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurticus (Post 4236156)
For as much into Rock / R&B / Blues from the mid 60s through the 70s
and 80s that I was I can honestly say I'd never heard Star until I checked it out
on YouTube this morning. I can also honestly say I can't understand how
it got to #29 in the American Charts. I guess Stuck In The Middle With
You was just such a monster hit for them that they could have recorded
a version of the Mah nah mah nah song and it would have cracked the
top 40

Spurt I can see why that song doesn't hit you right away like the other one does, first off it's sung by the other dude, not by Gerry Rafferty. The other guy has a slower and more mellow voice. But if you really think about it, "Star" is very similar in spirit to a lot of other bands and songs of that time, it sounds real close to a lot of 1970s mellow rock like America, Gordon Lightfoot, Linda Ronstadt, James Taylor, that kind of stuff.

It's actually one of my favorite songs by them and has a real mellow sound which is very comparable to other hits of that time, even though it is drastically different from their big hit!

Spur's Addiction 08-26-2014 09:27 PM

Re: One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE)
 
Stuck in the middle. Not even close

Spurticus 08-29-2014 07:36 AM

Re: One Hit Wonder Tournament - (STUCK IN THE MIDDLE vs NAH NAH HEY HEY GOODBYE)
 
STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU wins big. Advances to Round 2


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.