CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Keeping drinks cold in a cooler - When the ice melts, is it better to add more ice to (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209282)

LouiseCLaroche 08-25-2014 03:07 PM

Keeping drinks cold in a cooler - When the ice melts, is it better to add more ice to

Got into an argument with a family member over this. The water in the cooler was still ice cold. In fact, there was still some unmelted ice left. My Aunt insisted that it was better to drain the water from the cooler and then add ice. I explained that water has a higher specific heat capacity than air, and should be kept in, as long as the cooler had enough space. Because of water's higher specific heat capacity, it could absorb more heat from the environment, before increasing in temperature, than an air and ice mixture could do.

http://dailydigitaldeals.info/wp-con.../11/38/buy.gif

l^l^lBGCock 08-25-2014 03:26 PM

Re: Keeping drinks cold in a cooler - When the ice melts, is it better to add more ic

I would dump the water out first, but by that time who the hell really cares just put the ice in the damn cooler.

palmettosc 08-25-2014 03:31 PM

Re: Keeping drinks cold in a cooler - When the ice melts, is it better to add more ic

Just get a yeti. Don't worry. I'll show myself out.

05USCGrad 08-25-2014 03:46 PM

add ice with the water still in there

add salt too for extra cold

ultimatetailgater 08-25-2014 03:50 PM

You are correct the ice mixed with water still stay colder than just ice. So unless you have stuff in the cooler that shouldn't be submerged in water I would leave the water. It's also a pretty well known physics trick that if you want to cool something more quickly you put it in ice mixed with water rather than just ice.

SwampFox 08-25-2014 04:14 PM

Why do you think people look shocked when the water and ice hits during an ice bucket challenge?

ccured 08-25-2014 04:27 PM

always keep the water. if you have something that shouldn't get wet in a cooler it should be in a double zip freezer bag or rubbermaid type container

LBC 08-25-2014 07:15 PM

Air is the enemy. Always leave the water. As has been said, if it can't get wet...bag it. Otherwise rarely drain the water unless you are only doing so to make room for more ice...but always leave water.

CockinAthens 08-25-2014 07:29 PM

Ice water will keep your drinks colder than just ice due to the water increasing the contact surface.

Gamecocks1137 08-25-2014 09:34 PM

Ice water keeps drinks colder than Ice. It is a proven fact. (Ice Water, is Water with pieces of ice still visible floating on top. Best way to make something as cold as you need.)

cockymac 08-25-2014 10:19 PM

The mythbusters did that experiment. It is better to have a water, ice mixture. However, it is even better to have a water, ice, and salt mixture. You can probably find the episode on YouTube.

eightohhthree 08-25-2014 10:42 PM

I too have stupid family.

Spur's Addiction 08-25-2014 11:13 PM

Never drain the water - unless all the ice has melted and it has started to warm up.

Or if you have something that can't get wet. But then you should just package it better to keep the water out.

Gaichon 08-25-2014 11:35 PM

I'm a little amazed someone didn't believe leaving the water was the route to go.

b381l 08-25-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouiseCLaroche (Post 4235525)
Got into an argument with a family member over this. The water in the cooler was still ice cold. In fact, there was still some unmelted ice left. My Aunt insisted that it was better to drain the water from the cooler and then add ice. I explained that water has a higher specific heat capacity than air, and should be kept in, as long as the cooler had enough space. Because of water's higher specific heat capacity, it could absorb more heat from the environment, before increasing in temperature, than an air and ice mixture could do.

http://dailydigitaldeals.info/wp-con.../11/38/buy.gif

Aunt is correct.....ice is colder than water......the ice had to melt to become water......however, having water mixed with ice keeps drinks colder quicker because if completely covers whatever is in the cooler where ice doesn't totally cover items in the cooler.