CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Not a talent issue (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209519)

gromweat 08-29-2014 12:50 AM

Not a talent issue

I have been routing for my Gamecocks for over 30 years and I can tell you right out this is not a talent gap. We did not lose this game because we have no talent. We lost because of bad defensive coaching. I frankly do not think the athletes at A&M are no better than ours (Minus O line) but when you give 10 yard cushions on five yard passes you will lose all day long. In the past we have had better dlines and we could get away with this, but where we are today that is not an option. I saw very little bump and run which is the only d that works against the quick pass. Count how many passes the ags had against us that where thrown for more than 10 yrds (in air). It will surprise you. Top that off with poor tackling and you get the outcome we got. Bad tackling = poor coaching. I suspect A&M will look very good until the last 2 to 3 games where they will be exposed, just as we were tonight. While our offense was not stellar (We never are the first game) we still racked up a lot of yards against a defense that I predict will be mediocre when they play Alabama and LSU. This is going to be a rebuild and re-coach year for us, and I highly doubt A&M or we wind up in Atlanta. There QB is good, but frankly anyone could have throw 5 yrd passes on us tonight. We shall see how this plays out.

Coulwoodwarlord 08-29-2014 01:02 AM

Re: Not a talent issue

Well.........................it's "not" supposed to be a talent issue, so, we shall see.

gromweat 08-29-2014 01:06 AM

Agreed, if it were we would not have 11 wins in the prior three seasons

jgh35 09-02-2014 04:22 PM

I have to disagree. It was like watching men against boys. Their WRs were much bigger and stonger than our DBs. Their Dbs were much bigger and stronger than our WRs. They throw a WR screen and the other WRs manhandle our DBs and they gain 10+ yards. We throw a WR screen and the blocking WR gets knocked back and we tackled at the LOS. We could not get any pressure on the QB even when we blitzed. Their Oline was bigger and stronger than our Dline. We have not recruited well the past few years. Our DEs and LBs are little guys that just cannot stand up to SEC competition. It was noticeable last year, but downright embarrassing in this first game.

Evilchicken3 09-02-2014 04:27 PM

When your backers and CBs are undersized, the coaches will say, "We have a speedy defense. Guys fly around." The 3-4 was implemented because we don't have the size, or strength to dictate play of the opposing offense at the line, so we try to put bodies in the secondary. I'm still confused as to why we still gave up chunks of real estate.

PageUSC 09-02-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh35 (Post 4247189)
I have to disagree. It was like watching men against boys. Their WRs were much bigger and stonger than our DBs. Their Dbs were much bigger and stronger than our WRs. They throw a WR screen and the other WRs manhandle our DBs and they gain 10+ yards. We throw a WR screen and the blocking WR gets knocked back and we tackled at the LOS. We could not get any pressure on the QB even when we blitzed. Their Oline was bigger and stronger than our Dline. We have not recruited well the past few years. Our DEs and LBs are little guys that just cannot stand up to SEC competition. It was noticeable last year, but downright embarrassing in this first game.

Exactly if you didn't noticed the talent gap with their WRs > DBs and also how much better their OL is than ours you didn't know what you were watching.

sc455 09-02-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilchicken3 (Post 4247196)
When your backers and CBs are undersized, the coaches will say, "We have a speedy defense. Guys fly around." The 3-4 was implemented because we don't have the size, or strength to dictate play of the opposing offense at the line, so we try to put bodies in the secondary. I'm still confused as to why we still gave up chunks of real estate.

because the dbs played 10 yds off receivers and the safeties were 30 yards back..

biltazar 09-02-2014 04:34 PM

It wouldn't have been a talent issue compared to last year's team, but this team is a shell of the team that we saw last year. No one on our defense is as good at DL or DB as the guys who left after last season. Just my opinion, but I think that folks coming into this season ascribed to the Random Walk Theory - that tomorrow (now this season) will be just like today (last season). I believe that reality showed that the idea that we were as talented as recent years past dissipated like an evening fog in the morning. Everyone wants to believe that every year will be great, but we are not going to run without a skipping a beat when we no longer have anyone on the defensive front that can get penetration much less command double teams.

Evilchicken3 09-02-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc455 (Post 4247202)
because the dbs played 10 yds off receivers and the safeties were 30 yards back..

Yeah, you're right. There were lots of passes in the middle that torched us. I'm confused as to why that wasn't corrected.

CoverTwo 09-02-2014 04:36 PM

Look at the star ratings of our starting defensive line.

Compare it to the lines we've fielded the past 3 years.

There is your answer.

ultimatetailgater 09-02-2014 04:38 PM

A&M had two 4* and a 5* receivers on the field with a highly regarded 4* QB and two 5* RBs Along with a mostly 4* offensive line with experience. There are quite a few things we can cleanup with better schemes and coaching but there was definitely a talent gap.

gamecock88 09-02-2014 04:39 PM

Keep on routing!

Herbie3 09-02-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4247207)
Look at the star ratings of our starting defensive line.

Compare it to the lines we've fielded the past 3 years.

There is your answer.

True!!! And Lawing isn't here to coach them up.

rrsandersjr 09-02-2014 04:46 PM

I think that every time that A&M set up in trips that they threw the swing pass to that side and we would only have two DBS lined up on that side. Clemson was doing the same thing to UGA until they started coming up and blowing that crap up. We never adjusted to that play.

gamecock88 09-02-2014 04:54 PM

So wait, first stars don't matter so long as we're winning. Then stars matter because we're blown completely out of a game. I get it now.

Master Bedroom 09-02-2014 04:55 PM

Sumlin has turned A&M into a scoring machine and they will continue to do so until he leaves, imo. This is not anything new as far as I am concerned with the way their offense looked. Add into the mix we had babies in the secondary it was bound to be a long night for them. Everyone should have known this game was going to be a shootout and the offensive play calling and execution kept USC from having a shot. A&M has one of the best receiving groups in the country hands down and USC will not see a group close to them the rest of the year, thank god. A&M puts up numbers on everybody they play, home or away. This was a bad match up for our first game no doubt about it. I don't think USC was as bad as they showed on defense, and I don't think A&M was quite as good as they looked...although I fully expect for them to compete for the SECW this year. It could be a long year if the defense doesn't get some things figured out...but I do have hope it will get better...how much better is the question. These young guys on defense need some confidence and hopefully they can get it this weekend vs ECU. That group looked like they had never seen a football before when the game kicked off last Thursday night. If the defense gets some confidence then I expect the UGA game to be a good contest...if not then it may be a long day. Either way...if you're going to lose they say it's best to lose early. Our best defense may have to be our offense this year and I hope Spurrier gets that figured out...quickly

Master Bedroom 09-02-2014 04:58 PM

Sumlin may be one of the best there is in getting his guys ready to play on the road.

ipull4usc 09-02-2014 04:58 PM

I highly disagree. We lack talent at defensive end, and our line play is rendered totally ineffective because of it. 44 is currently ineffective with his limited athleticism, and 5 is entirely ineffective given his light weight; however, we don't have anyone to substitute in their place. That's a lack of talent.

A&M has tremendous talent at WR, which none of our defenders could match up with. It will be doubtful that many, if any, teams are able to match A&M's talent at WR, but its undeniable that we were outclassed in that regard.

Overall, A&M just looked like a bigger, stronger, faster, and significantly more talented team than Carolina.

Nureye 09-02-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamecock88 (Post 4247220)
So wait, first stars don't matter so long as we're winning. Then stars matter because we're blown completely out of a game. I get it now.

Stars don't matter...talent matters. But I get what you are saying.

Texas AM had more talent.

If you disagree with ^^^statement, then you are either 1. Blind 2. Wearing garnet glasses.

ReadR00ster 09-02-2014 05:10 PM

We are playing guys that were very talented in HS, but so is everyone else. And I don't think their "college" talent is up to par at all right now. A lot of that is just youth and inexperience, and some of it is coaches not be able to get the fundamentals in these guys right away and to speed up the maturation process like some of these teams have done. A&M's QB that killed us was just a sophomore. One of their WRs that kept burning us was just a true freshman. It can be done with young players. A&M did it, we did not.