CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Which is a worse loss to open the season? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209570)

MisterClowney 08-29-2014 02:49 PM

Which is a worse loss to open the season?

Last night was awful, shocking and embarrassing. But could it be worse? Trying to help people lighten up, because this took my mind off of the loss for a little bit.

For the first game of the season, which of these two options is the worst scenario?

Option A:
See last night. 11 point favorite playing at home in a conference game. Get your doors blown off and lose by 24. Start 0-1 with a conference loss.

Option B:
35 point favorite, playing at home in a non-conference game against an FCS opponent. (The exact scenario Michigan was in against App State). Lose by a field goal. Start 0-1 but no conference loss.

I think that either type of loss makes a run at a playoff birth pretty much out of reach. Option A puts you behind in the conference race, and while Option B doesn't, I believe it is far more embarrassing.

uscjeremynca 08-29-2014 02:53 PM

Re: Which is a worse loss to open the season?

Or Option C: Getting blown out at home by a non conference opponent who plays in the AAC (see Vanderbilt)

Emery 08-29-2014 02:59 PM

B --- Even if you go undefeated in conference, if there is another team with same record the FCS opponent will kill any chance.

Say, and I will bet this will never happen, we go undefeated the rest of the year and win division, this opening game will be a distant memory and we will likely get chosen over a team with the same record.

ChickenButt 08-29-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscjeremynca (Post 4242562)
Or Option C: Getting blown out at home by a non conference opponent who plays in the AAC (see Vanderbilt)

My thoughts exactly, Vandy getting crushed by Temple is just inexcusable.

uscjeremynca 08-29-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emery (Post 4242576)
B --- Even if you go undefeated in conference, if there is another team with same record the FCS opponent will kill any chance.

Say, and I will bet this will never happen, we go undefeated the rest of the year and win division, this opening game will be a distant memory and we will likely get chosen over a team with the same record.

That is what is most depressing. We have never won 11 games in a row. And after last night, there is no way we can do that this season.

As I've been telling people out here, college football is the only sport where your season (or shot at a championship) can end after the first week.

thekob 08-29-2014 03:15 PM

I think I like the "rather lose to clemson and win the SEC vs. beat clemson" conundrum better.

803scdantes 08-29-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekob (Post 4242610)
I think I like the "rather lose to clemson and win the SEC vs. beat clemson" conundrum better.

Oh how I wish we could have that discussion instead.

Spartan 08-29-2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscjeremynca (Post 4242583)
That is what is most depressing. We have never won 11 games in a row. And after last night, there is no way we can do that this season.

As I've been telling people out here, college football is the only sport where your season (or shot at a championship) can end after the first week.

Technically it's still possible to have a 14-1 season. Technically.

eightohhthree 08-29-2014 03:32 PM

Getting blown out at home by a ranked conference opponent is super embarrassing, especially if said team is ranked higher.

Losing to an FCS team is another level of embarrassment.

LegalCock 08-29-2014 03:41 PM

The loss and the margin are meh. The complete inability to even slow them down on defense is/was deeply troubling.

uscjeremynca 08-29-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan (Post 4242623)
Technically it's still possible to have a 14-1 season. Technically.

Of course it is. Yet we've never done it before and with the way we played last night, I don't think winning 11 straight is going to start this season. Just call it a hunch.

robgusc76 08-29-2014 03:49 PM

I think everyone is overlooking the fact, that that is a very good football team.