CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Gamecocks claimed and re-signed to Practice squads (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209707)

Goofyboy 08-31-2014 05:04 PM

Gamecocks claimed and re-signed to Practice squads

Looks like Quarles was claimed by the Patriots. Good deal.
Travian to Falcons PS. I didn't think he was eligible, but it'll work.

18IsTheMan 08-31-2014 05:22 PM

Re: Gamecocks claimed and re-signed to Practice squads

Well, good luck to Connor whatever he chooses to do!

gamecock ray 08-31-2014 05:28 PM

Conner will get picked up by some team and they will benefit eventually.

Goofyboy 08-31-2014 08:09 PM

Legree Cardinals PS.
Patrick Dallas PS as a center.
Maybe Shaw is negotiating with someone; Browns have named 7 to PS and picked up some players off waivers.

uscsandstorm85 08-31-2014 08:22 PM

I knew these players should have stayed.

militarymind17 08-31-2014 08:40 PM

Congrats to all of the gamecocks..:clap:

uscGRAD04 08-31-2014 08:42 PM

Shaw on Browns PS

Goofyboy 08-31-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 (Post 4245599)
Shaw on Browns PS

Good for Shaw. Great for Browns. If things go South and he keeps picking it up (We know his work habits), he has a good chance to get elevated. I'm pretty sure they only kept two when Grossman was released.

Cockadoo 08-31-2014 10:00 PM

I think when they cut Shaw someone went to the head office and said,"What the @#$%?" It is very odd that they released Grossman days later taking themselves down to just 2 QBs then reclaim Shaw for the PS. There were quite a few QBs cut that they could have chosen from since they were 3rd in line, but they chose Shaw. That in and of itself should speak volumes for Shaw.

GregoryHouse 08-31-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockadoo (Post 4245674)
I think when they cut Shaw someone went to the head office and said,"What the @#$%?" It is very odd that they released Grossman days later taking themselves down to just 2 QBs then reclaim Shaw for the PS. There were quite a few QBs cut that they could have chosen from since they were 3rd in line, but they chose Shaw. That in and of itself should speak volumes for Shaw.

Does Rex still get paid from the Browns?

It was a gamble but I think this makes sense if Shaw is making practice squad money versus the team having to pay him the league minimum and keep him on the active roster.

Blackland 08-31-2014 10:09 PM

It frees up a slot for them to add another player as a reserve. If they need a 3d QB they can elevate Shaw and cut that reserve player. Saves a lot of money...

GregoryHouse 08-31-2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 (Post 4245565)

Quarles is a patriot.

he received rave reviews through out Giants' camp and stood out in particular against the Patriots on Thursday. In fact, they were expected to try and sneak him onto their practice squad if he cleared waivers. Quarles was considered a very strong candidate to make the Giants final roster, but was pushed out in large part due to a very crowded defensive tackle depth chart.
In New England, Quarles could be a candidate to see snaps in four man fronts as a defensive tackle. He'll compete with the likes of Joe Vellano and Chris Jones for a spot on the 46-man active game day roster.

Dizzy01 08-31-2014 10:22 PM

Notice no Victor Hampton in this so far. He needed to stay far more than Quarles but this years squad could have used both.

Goofyboy 08-31-2014 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackland (Post 4245688)
It frees up a slot for them to add another player as a reserve. If they need a 3d QB they can elevate Shaw and cut that reserve player. Saves a lot of money...

Yep. They claimed 4 off waivers, and I guess they needed the space. They left PS slots open a long time, and I'm guessing they are still juggling and negotiating. I'm not sure if the unactivated "emergency" QB can be from the practice squad, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Shaw on the 53 man roster part of the year. Hard to sign an outside free agent to QB in the middle of the season to fill for injury.

GregoryHouse 08-31-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofyboy (Post 4245728)
Yep. They claimed 4 off waivers, and I guess they needed the space. They left PS slots open a long time, and I'm guessing they are still juggling and negotiating. I'm not sure if the unactivated "emergency" QB can be from the practice squad, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Shaw on the 53 man roster part of the year. Hard to sign an outside free agent to QB in the middle of the season to fill for injury.

They will have Rex's number if they need him I guess

Cockadoo 08-31-2014 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GH (Post 4245679)
Does Rex still get paid from the Browns?

It was a gamble but I think this makes sense if Shaw is making practice squad money versus the team having to pay him the league minimum and keep him on the active roster.

It was a gamble and I agree. But imagine if another team took Shaw. That would have forced the Browns to take another QB that had no idea about the playbook and essentially starting from day one. I'm sure there was some behind the door deals that ensured they would get Shaw because that would have been a big blow I think. And I'm sure they would have kept Grossman longer if they hadn't already had known.

Goofyboy 08-31-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Notice no Victor Hampton in this so far. He needed to stay far more than Quarles but this years squad could have used both.
Broken record.

Cockyteg 08-31-2014 11:43 PM

best of luck to all players

:clap:

COCKYWOOD 08-31-2014 11:48 PM

I think Connor knew he was getting signed to the practice squad by his twitter comment after being cut. If JM is what Cleveland has planned for their future, Connor will be his backup till he takes his job,

1SCFanInPAUntilNow 09-01-2014 04:37 PM

My Titans just picked up Mr. Succop.