CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The Demise of the 3-4 (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209733)

ZenUSC 09-01-2014 09:27 AM

The Demise of the 3-4

After listening to Spurrier post game I got the impression we won't see
the D use the 3-4 anymore. Reminds me of those deer whistles you used to see on motorcycles and cars a few years back. The whistles sold well but
the deer couldn't hear them so the whistles are all gone now. Great idea though...........in theory. I wonder if Charlie Strong may have invented the 3-4 and the deer whistle.

Dizzy01 09-01-2014 09:38 AM

Re: The Demise of the 3-4

Scrapping the 3-4 at this point may be worse than continuing to play with it. They spent two camps trying to install it with a bunch of guys who never played the 4-3 system the staff used before. If they were going to scrap something it would probably be better served to scrap the 10 yard cushion they give receivers on every play.

The Yancey 09-01-2014 09:49 AM

Actually SOS said that it didn't matter what D we were in this past Thursday. We still got our ass kicked. We will move some positions and people around but there really is no magic bullet.

ZenUSC 09-01-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4246034)
Actually SOS said that it didn't matter what D we were in this past Thursday. We still got our ass kicked. We will move some positions and people around but there really is no magic bullet.

Yea he tempered his remarks against the 3-4 but did we ever use the 3-4 in the 2nd half? TAMU threw an incredible 60 passes. I think that pretty much tells the story. TAMU game planned an air show against the highly advertised 3-4 which is supposed to be especially effective against passing teams. Sumlin must have known the 3-4 is crap.

SnellvilleSpur 09-01-2014 10:00 AM

Hey, I just bought deer whistles for my truck and car! I'd try anything after hitting two deer inside of a two-week period. Now you're telling me they have the functionality of a 3/4?! Damn.

Lalli25 09-01-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenUSC (Post 4246040)
Yea he tempered his remarks against the 3-4 but did we ever use the 3-4 in the 2nd half? TAMU threw an incredible 60 passes. I think that pretty much tells the story. TAMU game planned an air show against the highly advertised 3-4 which is supposed to be especially effective against passing teams. Sumlin must have known the 3-4 is crap.

Nothing to do with the 3-4 being good or bad, but the fact that Ward has always had a poor scheme for passing attacks. Ward has been overhyped during his time at USC.

rabid cock 09-01-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnellvilleSpur (Post 4246042)
Hey, I just bought deer whistles for my truck and car! I'd try anything after hitting two deer inside of a two-week period. Now you're telling me they have the functionality of a 3/4?! Damn.

I'm trying to picture the functionality of using a whistle to avoid hitting a deer with a vehicle.

ZenUSC 09-01-2014 10:40 AM

Heck, I hit a cow in the road one night about a half mile from the Lex County Hospital. Actually there were two cows in the road but I only avoided one.

Carolina-Beez 09-01-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenUSC (Post 4246040)

From what I've seen of Sumlin's teams at Houston and TAMU, his plan going into every game is to throw, a lot.

Badazcock 09-01-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenUSC (Post 4246057)
Heck, I hit a cow in the road one night about a half mile from the Lex County Hospital. Actually there were two cows in the road but I only avoided one.

Did you take time to ask what the other cow saw??

Badazcock 09-01-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badazcock (Post 4246073)

Gotta cover your tracks man..LOL

ZenUSC 09-01-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badazcock (Post 4246073)

Didn't have the time to do that. I was too busy trying to keep the two wrecker drivers from hauling away the cow before the highway patrol got there. I needed a cow left to prove I really hit one.

zcoop 09-01-2014 11:22 AM

The 3-4 is not a bad defense, it just takes time for it to be imbedded into a system personnel wise. Alabama, UGA, Oklahoma and other top teams have been using is effectively for years.

We didn't get beat by the 3-4 on that side of the ball, our players just didn't execute their assignments. I hope we don't totally scrap it because of the perception that it is bad.

18IsTheMan 09-01-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcoop (Post 4246096)
The 3-4 is not a bad defense, it just takes time for it to be imbedded into a system personnel wise. Alabama, UGA, Oklahoma and other top teams have been using is effectively for years.

We didn't get beat by the 3-4 on that side of the ball, our players just didn't execute their assignments. I hope we don't totally scrap it because of the perception that it is bad.

Yeah, it wasn't the 3-4. It was the fact that our players looked clueless out there. They had zero confidence in what they were doing. Nobody looked like they knew where they should be or what they should be doing.

ZenUSC 09-01-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan (Post 4246097)
Yeah, it wasn't the 3-4. It was the fact that our players looked clueless out there. They had zero confidence in what they were doing. Nobody looked like they knew where they should be or what they should be doing.

Yea I saw that too. Like they were thinking. Like they wanted to go after the receiver or RB but sat there 'playing their assignment". Like they forgot the game is all about tackling the guy with the ball. Chaz Elder did that several times.

NinjaSven 09-01-2014 11:38 AM

I have never really been a fan of the 3-4. However, I have to agree that the players looked confused out there. There were a lot of players looking around trying to guess where they were supposed to be. Other players had to yell and point to others what to do. This does not inspire much confidence in the fans.

fridayserv 09-01-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizzy01 (Post 4246028)
Scrapping the 3-4 at this point may be worse than continuing to play with it. They spent two camps trying to install it with a bunch of guys who never played the 4-3 system the staff used before. If they were going to scrap something it would probably be better served to scrap the 10 yard cushion they give receivers on every play.

I really agree. Also, the defensive gameplan of the soft zone on 3rd and 5 or better must stop. Did anyone see Georgia, Alabama, LSU on 3rd and 5 or better they sent 6 to hurry the QB. Our coaching staff sent 3 against 5 OL and 1 RB. The A&M QB had all day.

kingofnerf 09-01-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

If they were going to scrap something it would probably be better served to scrap the 10 yard cushion they give receivers on every play.

^THIS

ColaCock 09-01-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Not sure how much ball you played, but it really isn't that difficult of a concept to grasp...coverages and packages remain identical in the mind to adjust to a personnel setup, which is all we are facing.

Besides, it's not like these guys coming in, or that we currently have, have never played football before with other formations...in middle school, JV, varsity high school football you play with various personnel setups.

It's really not that big of a deal. Only thing that really changes is some people used to getting more snaps in a 4-3 will see less in a 3-4, and vice versa.

I do agree with your last comment, that was painfully obvious and it bothered me when we came out in 2nd half with no adjustment there. My grandma could have gained 4-5 yards on a WR screen.

Dizzy01 09-01-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColaCock (Post 4246140)
Not sure how much ball you played, but it really isn't that difficult of a concept to grasp...coverages and packages remain identical in the mind to adjust to a personnel setup, which is all we are facing.

Besides, it's not like these guys coming in, or that we currently have, have never played football before with other formations...in middle school, JV, varsity high school football you play with various personnel setups.

It's really not that big of a deal. Only thing that really changes is some people used to getting more snaps in a 4-3 will see less in a 3-4, and vice versa.

I do agree with your last comment, that was painfully obvious.

It is a big change for guys in terms of lining up and the LBs making sure they know their assignments. Not to mention whether or not the DT you'd put in is able to pull their own weight and is conditioned to play.

The benefit of the 3-4 is supposed to be in sending a different LB every play in hopes of confusing the OL but the problem Thursday is the DL couldn't tie anyone up enough for the LB rushing to make a difference. If they're the best we have at this point I'm not sure we want the guy who couldn't beat them out on the field more.