CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Why didn't Wes Green play against A&M? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209736)

Jim Lahey 09-01-2014 03:24 PM

Why didn't Wes Green play against A&M?

:confused:

garnet_black215 09-01-2014 03:40 PM

Re: Why didn't Wes Green play against A&M?

Wanted to redshirt but is playing against ECU, according to TBS. Which means we're playing a guy who wanted to redshirt against that offense. It's that bad.

garnet&black1998rn 09-01-2014 03:44 PM

excuse me WHO SAID he wanted to RS? the player or the coaching staff? don't believe he makes that decision.

ccured 09-01-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnet&black1998rn (Post 4246278)
excuse me WHO SAID he wanted to RS? the player or the coaching staff? don't believe he makes that decision.

Sometimes the player does input. David Williams was approached last year and told the coaches he wanted to keep the red shirt

ConwayGamecock 09-01-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnet&black1998rn (Post 4246278)

A player can make the decision of what he WANTS to do, pretty much any minute of any day in the week....he probably thinks there's too much depth at CB at the moment. Not saying the depth is experienced, proven depth, but in terms of youth. He came into the program with 3 other CBs and probably wants to get some separation in order to have better field opportunities...

I imagine Jamari's injury pretty much wrote the book on any of the freshmen CBs red-shirting...but it could still happen if any of the other CBs step up and establish themselves. Green has the first 4 games of the season to play and then can still redshirt this season if he suffers an "injury".....

Gamecocks321 09-01-2014 03:49 PM

We need him. I know DJ Smith is suppose to RS, which sucks. Need the depth.

garnet&black1998rn 09-01-2014 03:56 PM

I can want to be the president , doesn't mean I have the say so. My point is BG215 stated that TBS said he didn't want to play against A&M b/c of the offense they run. I find that statement DAMN hard to believe and buy. If you are a DIV1 football player you either wanna' play football or not. Input or not from player I don't think the player can selectively determine when he will be ok to lose his RS for what specific game without the blessings from the position coach and HBC.

garnet_black215 09-01-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnet&black1998rn (Post 4246287)
I can want to be the president , doesn't mean I have the say so. My point is BG215 stated that TBS said he didn't want to play against A&M b/c of the offense they run. I find that statement DAMN hard to believe and buy. If you are a DIV1 football player you either wanna' play football or not. Input or not from player I don't think the player can selectively determine when he will be ok to lose his RS for what specific game without the blessings from the position coach and HBC.

Where in the HELL did I say that?

ccured 09-01-2014 04:38 PM

He never said anything about a&m.

garnet&black1998rn 09-01-2014 04:39 PM

"which means we're playing a guy who wanted to redshirt against that offense. It's that bad". SO all that info was a direct quote from TBS? So TBS was discussing a&M offense or ECU offense which is a similar set?

garnet_black215 09-01-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnet&black1998rn (Post 4246321)
"which means we're playing a guy who wanted to redshirt against that offense. That's bad". SO all that info was a direct quote from TBS?

No, that was MY quote. How you came to the conclusion that he didn't want to play against A&M because of their offense is something I would really really like to know.

garnet&black1998rn 09-01-2014 04:57 PM

the OP asked about W. Green playing against A&M, the response you sent from reading TBS stated WG wanted to rs but will apparently be available to play against ECU. Your comment stated he wanted to RS instead of playing against that offense . We have played one offense so far this year and ECU runs an air raid /spread offensive style, much in the vain of A&M. Guess I was confused by your comment if not quoted from TBS. Either way you feel that's a bad idea. Apology for assuming the discussion info you sent was your quote about the TBS info regarding ECU and NOT A&M . Not the same offenses but quite similar . either way looks like RS is off W. Green

thekob 09-01-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnet_black215 (Post 4246326)
No, that was MY quote. How you came to the conclusion that he didn't want to play against A&M because of their offense is something I would really really like to know.

The part about "wanting to red shirt against that offense" can be understood as "he saw the offense and decided to red shirt". That was my initial interpretation of your statement...I figured someone needed their assets cut ;).

Makes more sense of course that he wanted to red shirt for the season but we needed him to play. Simple misinterpretation is all...

ConwayGamecock 09-01-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnet&black1998rn (Post 4246321)
"which means we're playing a guy who wanted to redshirt against that offense. It's that bad". SO all that info was a direct quote from TBS? So TBS was discussing a&M offense or ECU offense which is a similar set?

I took it to mean:

"which means we're playing a guy who wanted to redshirt [break] against that offense (ECU's offense). It's that bad"

He didn't say that Green didn't want to play against TAMU's offense....he said that we're possibly going to play a green (no pun intended) CB - who wanted to redshirt - against a potent ECU offense. The reasons why Green wants to RS may have absolutely nothing to do with either TAMU's or ECU's offense. At least that's how I took it.....

Jim Lahey 09-01-2014 08:49 PM

He's the highest rated, 4 star CB we signed last year and he wants to redshirt? During his recruitment, were we not telling him we need him to come in and play from day one?

USC843 09-02-2014 12:00 AM

I dont really understand wanting to redshirt. That means he fully plans on being here for 5 years. That rarely happens, especially for someone who has talent like him.

garnet_black215 09-02-2014 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Lahey (Post 4246482)
He's the highest rated, 4 star CB we signed last year and he wants to redshirt? During his recruitment, were we not telling him we need him to come in and play from day one?

Could have had something to do with getting in later than expected. Just speculation on my part though.

b381l 09-02-2014 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnet&black1998rn (Post 4246287)

here's the quote from TM:

"Many South Carolina fans have wondered why cornerback Wesley Green didn't dress for the season opener against Texas A&M. According to sources Green had expressed a desire to redshirt this season and the staff was trying to accommodate him. However, in light of how the secondary performed, Green is expected to play this weekend and the rest of the season."

Green has a ton of talent but hadn't picked up the defense as quickly as he would have liked.

Gamecockfanatic4 09-02-2014 03:00 AM

admirable of the staff to give it a shot but we need all hands on deck in the secondary right now

CockyLifer 09-02-2014 04:57 AM

SO the 2 guys we were most stoked about DJ Smith and Wes Green both were going to RS? I just don't get it they should not have let Wes attempt to we need him badly and we did before that disaster of a game who thought we would be fine? I do admit it is admirable for the coaches that they tried to please him and give him what he wants but we just aren't deep enough for a decision like that.