CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209778)

cack 09-02-2014 12:42 PM

Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
Thursday was a tough pill to swallow. It was a pill that Gamecock fans used to be used to, but past decade/4 years has spoiled us into believing we weren't that team anymore. In College Football, on any given Saturday, a team can get a butt whooping ... we got a butt whooping.

Through all the frustrations and disappointments, there were still a few good showings Thursday night. Unfortunately, I don't feel that any of them deserve any recognition. Win or lose, I always try to find a shinning star, but unless I pick 1 catch or tackle on 1 play, it'd really be pointless.

Instead, I'll comment on a few observations that I made while at the game. I haven't watched a replay or even seen the coach's show (dvr didn't record for some reason), so if I'm off on something ... get over it.

Offensive line got punched in the mouth, and really didn't man up after it. We had some pretty good pass blocking, but the run blocking was not very good. What was supposed to be our strong point for the season looks very questionable. We won't win a lot of games if we can't open any more holes than we did. From what I recall, we had 1 run over 10 yards ... if there were more, there wasn't many more.

Thompson was a question mark for me all off-season. Even in his best games, he will float a pass here and there that could be extremely costly. There were a few passes that were wide open receivers that landed 10 yards behind them. I know I was always on Shaw because I didn't feel like he took enough chances in the passing game, but when he threw the ball he was on point.

The defense was flat out terrible, we all know that. I'm a fan of the game, I never was big enough to play any after Pee Wee, so I really don't know the in depth x's and o's ... HOWEVER, I do know that you can't bring 3 guys against 5-6 (if HB stays in to block) AND leave your DBs nearly 10 yards off the receivers. I've looked and looked, but can't seem to find the numbers, but I'd be willing to bet that 75% of their passes were screens/quick slants, and the same percentage if not more of their passing yards were yards after the catch. Nothing against Kenny Hill, but I (literally) could have completed those passes and had a great game against our Defense. We made it easy for him. If you're not going to pressure the QB, you have to pressure the receivers. I mean you can't let the QB sit back there for 4-5 seconds and let the receivers go wherever they want. I know our DBs are young and still learning, I'm not mad that they gave up a bazillion yards. I'm mad that our coaching staff made ZERO adjustments. There's not a single thing that I can look at and say "he changed this up for the 2nd half." A&M surely didn't change anything and they continued to march straight down the field. We should have AT LEAST pulled the DBs up and said "ok, beat us over the top." Hats off to A&M, they took what we gave them ... we gave them the easiest game they'll play all year.

Special Teams is still an absolute joke. On one kick off we had 3 guys RUNNING BACKWARDS to try to catch up with the coverage team. It looked like A&M had 14 guys on the field and 3 of them were wearing garnet. We don't have to return every kickoff for a TD, but we can't even get to the 20 ... which leads me to ... LEAVE THE BALL IN THE ENDZONE. If you catch the ball 1 inch inside the endzone ... take a knee. Since they brought the touchback out to the 25, I'd be willing to bet that we've returned less than 25% to the 25. Take a dang knee and give our Offense a fighting chance. Getting tackled on a 15 doesn't do anybody any good.

Ok, moving to a little more positive note. The receivers had a pretty good game. Would have put us in a really good position and given us a ton of momentum going into the locker room if Jones could have pulled in that pass late in the 2nd quarter. Other than that, the whole receiving core (tight ends included) played really good games. If Thompson got it anywhere near them, they caught it most the time. You could clearly see the frustration of Busta on a few plays that Thompson would sail the ball or that he'd make a cut and get open and not be seen.

A lot to work on if we're going to get this ship back pointed towards Atlanta. I think we have the coaches and players to do that, but a lot of work.

Latti2001 09-02-2014 12:48 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
Did anyone notice what appeared to be Thompson blaming Busta for the over throws? Busta looked ticked off, and it looked like Thompson was pointing fingers. If so, I'm disappointed in the leadership.

TKE226 09-02-2014 12:56 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
So was there a person(s) who stood out to deserve the toast?

M.C. 09-02-2014 12:57 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
nick jones should get it

PyroPepper 09-02-2014 12:59 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
I think that Dylan is a fine young man.

The Yancey 09-02-2014 01:01 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
I thought that our kicking was better than in past years.

yazoo 09-02-2014 01:10 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
I would give it to Brandon Wilds. He averaged 5.0 per carry, and made some courageous runs with very little blocking. He showed a lot of heart. My runner up is Adams. For the same reason ... heart.

drumboy 09-02-2014 01:20 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
Spurrier gave Thompson and Jones game balls and called them the Players of the Game. Maybe you didn't see the hits Thompson was taking. He was hit hard several times. There has to be better pass protection to improve his decision making and passing. I would imagine it's hard to look spectacular when you're running for your life. He had 366 yards, 4 TDs, and 1 interception. Had the defense played, those are winning numbers. Had the O line blocked for the running game, Thompson wouldn't have had to pass all the time. To put it in perspective, Thompson put up the fourth highest offensive numbers in the SEC last week. He threw enough yards in that game to tie USC's 9th all time historical record.

Jones dropped a TD pass that would have given us more momentum. Jones himself said the drop was his fault. I agree that Jones did well, and I thought Brandon Wilds looked good when he had the chance.

Several passes were a little high but went right through the receivers' hands. It's SEC ball. They should have had those passes.

It's a little early to throw Thompson under the bus when he actually kept us alive. Some of you are OK with Jones dropping a TD pass, but want to crucify Thompson for his mistakes (and he did make some). We've won plenty of games with uglier offense than was played Thursday night. We did that because our defense was spectacular. The QB hasn't had to carry the whole load for the past three years.

Our players did not attack each other. I don't know what you thought you saw, and I'm sure there was some frustration, but nobody called anyone else out. Thompson, particularly, would not have done that to a teammate. Watch his interview after the game. He didn't blame anyone but himself.

sc455 09-02-2014 01:24 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cack (Post 4246948)
moving to a little more positive note. The receivers had a pretty good game. Would have put us in a really good position and given us a ton of momentum going into the locker room if Jones could have pulled in that pass late in the 2nd quarter. Other than that, the whole receiving core (tight ends included) played really good games.

I disagree. I saw multiple dropped passes and piss poor blocking downfield. I think they were below average.

ABATTBQ11 09-02-2014 01:25 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yazoo (Post 4246983)
I would give it to Brandon Wilds. He averaged 5.0 per carry, and made some courageous runs with very little blocking. He showed a lot of heart. My runner up is Adams. For the same reason ... heart.

Wilds did really well. I was impressed with him.

thekob 09-02-2014 01:38 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Latti2001 (Post 4246953)
Did anyone notice what appeared to be Thompson blaming Busta for the over throws? Busta looked ticked off, and it looked like Thompson was pointing fingers. If so, I'm disappointed in the leadership.

I saw one throw where it seemed that DT thought he should've been further out, in which case the throw should've been on point. No telling who was right and who was wrong, since I don't have the playbook in front of me. You can't put it on DT or on RA imo without the full story.

Good wrap up of a bad situation Cack. At this point we've just gotta hope we get better. Regarding QB, it seems DT is still head and shoulders above Orth and Mitch for whatever reason. If we see one of those two, we're either ahead by a lot or something really bad happened to DT.

roosterdave 09-02-2014 01:43 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Latti2001 (Post 4246953)
Did anyone notice what appeared to be Thompson blaming Busta for the over throws? Busta looked ticked off, and it looked like Thompson was pointing fingers. If so, I'm disappointed in the leadership.


I thought I saw that, but who knows what was being said. In any case, How do you over throw a 6-6 tight end. The guy can reach 10 ft in the air without jumping. :angrycoc:

USC843 09-02-2014 01:47 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
Mich will be the starter by the end of the year. Bank on it.

RoosterBooster 09-02-2014 01:48 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
I thought Tyler Hull had a heck of a game.

drumboy 09-02-2014 01:57 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by USC843 (Post 4247035)
Mich will be the starter by the end of the year. Bank on it.

Now this is interesting. Think this through. If Thompson is no longer the starter, there's absolutely no reason for him to stay on the team. He's already graduated, and being backup to Connor Mitch would do nothing for his career. He could get a job and get on with his life instead of working himself to death for nothing, because at this point, the scholarship is not an incentive for him to stay. So - you'd rather have an unproven freshman QB who's never thrown a snap of SEC football backed up by an inexperienced walk-on.

I'm actually smiling. That's the funniest thing I've read since the game. For better or worse, unless he's injured, Thompson will almost certainly remain the starter.

ABATTBQ11 09-02-2014 02:05 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Latti2001 (Post 4246953)
Did anyone notice what appeared to be Thompson blaming Busta for the over throws? Busta looked ticked off, and it looked like Thompson was pointing fingers. If so, I'm disappointed in the leadership.

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/imported_ass...hts_medium.gif

GarnetBlack&Blue 09-02-2014 02:14 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABATTBQ11 (Post 4247066)

uuhh this was last year... and those are away jerseys...

kingoftheroost 09-02-2014 02:19 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetBlack&Blue (Post 4247076)
uuhh this was last year... and those are away jerseys...

AND it wasn't Thompson being upset at all. He and Marcus both said it was simply Thompson being fired up after a good play.

ReadR00ster 09-02-2014 02:20 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
I'd give the toast to Byrd. Or may be to the fans, because we need a drink after that game.

Wagz 09-02-2014 02:25 PM

Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M
 
I said the same thing over and over and over, if you can't pressure the QB, you better pressure the receivers, I'd they beat you over the top, so be it. Don't let them dink and dunk you all night....not one adjustment was ever made. Corners were lining up 10-12 yards off the receiver


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.