CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Spurrier Presser (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209785)

ZenUSC 09-02-2014 01:37 PM

Spurrier Presser

I've never heard Spurrier sound the way he did.
Nobody had the balls toask him about the future of the 3-4.
He says Mike Davis will be available vs ECU so I suspect he had a talk with Davis. I think Spurrier expects to see Davis participate.
There will be changes on the OL.
D Williams will get some ECU carries.
Spurrier not happy with special teams.

Garnet Gamecock 09-02-2014 01:41 PM

Re: Spurrier Presser

When you say he's never sounded that way, how did he sound?

sunbeam 09-02-2014 01:49 PM

Go figure. I know we don't have a return game, but at least Hull punted well, and Ard had a good game on kickoffs. Fry missed the FG, but let's face it, he doesn't have the leg for 45+ consistently right now.

If anything they played better than since we had Rychleski, aside from Ace's returns.

They aren't going to win us games like they do for some teams, but he picks now to get mad about it?

vinceisvince 09-02-2014 01:51 PM

Is there a video link?

roosterdave 09-02-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinceisvince (Post 4247041)
Is there a video link?

here is the link. Skip ahead to 1 hr mark for SOS

usc90grad 09-02-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenUSC (Post 4247024)

Can't remember the last time we had a threat on returns. Capt Munn?

Homebrewcock 09-02-2014 02:02 PM

Special teams - our return game on kick offs is horrible. Bad blocking and our return guy does not hit the hole and go (if there is a hole). Punt returns - different because when you face a good punter, fair catches are common. Our kick coverage needs to get better as well.

boowilliam4 09-02-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4247052)

We did have a guy named Ace Sanders who did pretty well.

Spurz 09-02-2014 02:04 PM

I thought it was an encouraging press conference, honestly. It was the kind of stuff you'd want to hear after a bad loss.

roosterdave 09-02-2014 02:07 PM

Been a while since I heard Spurrier sound this...determined, not sure if that's the word

ZenUSC 09-02-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurz (Post 4247063)
I thought it was an encouraging press conference, honestly. It was the kind of stuff you'd want to hear after a bad loss.

What press conference did you listen to?

LBC 09-02-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4247052)

Ace Sanders was a 2012 first team All-Southeastern Conference selection as a kick returner and was named the SEC Special Teams Player of the Year. He was also named the 2013 Outback Bowl MVP partly because of a 63 yard punt return TD.

He will be beginning his second NFL season this weekend so its been less than two years since he played for Carolina.

LBC 09-02-2014 02:24 PM

Sorry...double post

Spurz 09-02-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenUSC (Post 4247070)
What press conference did you listen to?

I like the changes they're making to the way we practice. I like that Davis will be available but that David Williams is still in the discussion. I like that they'll tinker with the offensive line a bit. I like that Spurrier and the coaching staff are pissed about the way we played on Thursday but also don't want to let it ruin the entire season. Overall it seemed like a pretty fair and balanced way of looking at things. It's natural to want the players and coaches to be upset after what happened, but I'd rather them not be so upset that it hampers their ability to move on and improve.

cockfight21 09-02-2014 02:45 PM

Seems like normal Spurrier to me. Maybe a little tired. But just saying "wait and see." Practice a bit more intense. Not happy with 3rd down D. Thinks D and run game go hand in hand keeping other team off field

JDStud6 09-02-2014 03:10 PM

I'm still confused as to why Williams didn't play. He must not be that good if he didn't play even with our #1 out.

I'm excited to see him, but to have Carson in there running over Williams makes me wonder why.

JD

yazoo 09-02-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDStud6 (Post 4247118)
I'm still confused as to why Williams didn't play. He must not be that good if he didn't play even with our #1 out.

I'm excited to see him, but to have Carson in there running over Williams makes me wonder why.

JD

Pass blocking.

scz71864 09-02-2014 04:04 PM

sounds about how he always sounded to me. of course we will never really know what is said behind closed doors and in the locker room.

Evilchicken3 09-02-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenUSC (Post 4247024)
I've never heard Spurrier sound the way he did.
Nobody had the balls toask him about the future of the 3-4.
He says Mike Davis will be available vs ECU so I suspect he had a talk with Davis. I think Spurrier expects to see Davis participate.
There will be changes on the OL.
D Williams will get some ECU carries.

This is all so confusing. Why wasn't Spurrier on top of all this before the first game? How does Spurrier motivate players like Mike Davis? How does he evaluate the defensive schemes in the off season? Frankly, this sounds like Spurrier lets his coordinators figure it out and he just shows up. Embarrassing.

cack 09-02-2014 04:31 PM

This is probably the video you're looking for

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/colle.../?media=462677