CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Defense making adjustments (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209810)

FanofCarolina1 09-02-2014 10:56 PM

Defense making adjustments
 
This looks promising. Hopefully we see a defense this week we're used to seeing.

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/09/0...ce-report.html

b381l 09-03-2014 01:57 AM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 (Post 4247532)
This looks promising. Hopefully we see a defense this week we're used to seeing.

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/09/0...ce-report.html

no matter what adjustments they make, our defense is not going to be as good as it has been in the past 3-4 years.

cocksmith1or11 09-03-2014 01:42 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
People need to understand that JD Clowney is a game changer. He changes the offensive playbook entirely. We don't have that anymore, and from the looks of English in the A&M game...... we wont come close to a decent tackler much less a pass rusher. Bottom line is Deke needs to prove himself as a coach. We had a huge drop off with his line last year, yea we lost some guys, but we still had a stout NFL ready dline. Deke has been at best mediocre in his units production. I expect a huge day for the d line in the ECU game. They do run a quick spread, so if we cover like we did during the A&M game, we WILL LOSE THIS GAME.

that being said, hype and bullshit taking plays off aside, Clowney made our entire team that much harder to play.

Biocockanics 09-03-2014 01:45 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
This is not a Clowney effect, the team came out flat as hell and lacking every fundamental you can think of. The coaches AND players failed to prepare, they wont do that again.

HeadCockFan 09-03-2014 02:12 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
I think a few uniform changes, and we're unbeatable.

Roosterboy 09-03-2014 02:12 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cocksmith1or11 (Post 4248082)
People need to understand that JD Clowney is a game changer. He changes the offensive playbook entirely. We don't have that anymore, and from the looks of English in the A&M game...... we wont come close to a decent tackler much less a pass rusher. Bottom line is Deke needs to prove himself as a coach. We had a huge drop off with his line last year, yea we lost some guys, but we still had a stout NFL ready dline. Deke has been at best mediocre in his units production. I expect a huge day for the d line in the ECU game. They do run a quick spread, so if we cover like we did during the A&M game, we WILL LOSE THIS GAME.

that being said, hype and bullshit taking plays off aside, Clowney made our entire team that much harder to play.

I agree. He can clearly recruit...but can he coach.
A good coach (Lawing) can make 3-star guys look good with technique, effort and playing smart....a good recruiter can bring in good players and do nothing with them.

I haven't been impressed so far with the lack of fundamentals and technique the line has shown since Adams has arrived (no hand fightin, no swims, spins...just bull rushing guys).

Roosterboy 09-03-2014 02:15 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biocockanics (Post 4248091)
This is not a Clowney effect, the team came out flat as hell and lacking every fundamental you can think of. The coaches AND players failed to prepare, they wont do that again.

Agreed.
The Clowney loss hurt, but he did not cover up all the mistakes we saw.
Some of hte worst open field tackling I have seen around the board.

Coaches failed to put our players in situations they could succeed, and our players performance reflected that...they weren't ready to play, and our coaches on defense apparently took the whole summer off.

Hope they actualy did their job in preparing for ECU this week.

We have the talent...but they need to be coached up...and if these defensive coaches can't do that, we need to find some that can coach them up.

Jim Lahey 09-03-2014 02:17 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
Wasn't it BAW who said this defense could be better than last years? Yeahhhh about that.... Major adjustments are needed, quickly.

G&B 09-03-2014 02:17 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
The defense needs to adjust?

jseal777 09-03-2014 02:20 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
it is very encouraging seeing Holloman out there. Might be the spark these guys need.

uscGRAD04 09-03-2014 02:30 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
It's not just the loss of Clowney. We had 3 guys off the DLine last year that are on NFL Teams as we speak.

Clowney--Houston
Quarles--made the 53 man roster for New England
Sutton--practice squad Washington

lilhornet 09-03-2014 02:36 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4247681)
no matter what adjustments they make, our defense is not going to be as good as it has been in the past 3-4 years.

Granted, it doesn't have to be as good as those if our Offense comes together the way it should.

Harry Tuttle 09-03-2014 02:38 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
Adjust back to the D of 2011 with Allen, Holloman, Gilmore, Ingram, Taylor, Clowney, Robertson, Swearinger, with Hampton and Quarrels as backups... Man that was a nasty defense.

mhamby 09-03-2014 02:58 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadCockFan (Post 4248116)
I think a few uniform changes, and we're unbeatable.

This^^^

jgh35 09-03-2014 03:09 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
I think we had the wrong personnel grouping when running the 3-4. We ran it with 2 DEs and a NT. A&M had no trouble at all blocking this lineup and even had no trouble picking up the blitz, because they did not have to double team anybody. They handled all our guys with one on one blocking. If we ran that defense the way it is supposed to be run with a big NT and 2 big DTs they would have a much better chance of tying up the Oline making the blitz more effectice. It would also be a better run defense in the middle.

92Pony 09-03-2014 03:33 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roosterboy (Post 4248118)
I agree. He can clearly recruit...but can he coach.
A good coach (Lawing) can make 3-star guys look good with technique, effort and playing smart....a good recruiter can bring in good players and do nothing with them.

I haven't been impressed so far with the lack of fundamentals and technique the line has shown since Adams has arrived (no hand fightin, no swims, spins...just bull rushing guys).

Agree!!

Coondog 09-03-2014 03:42 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
Quote:

* Brison Williams credited Kenny Hill for finding holes in the USC defense and realized that Hill may have opened the book for future USC opponents.

Gee ya think? :club:

usc90grad 09-03-2014 04:03 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
To quote Clark W. Griswold...."How could things get any worse? Take a look around here. We're at the threshold of hell."

thekob 09-03-2014 04:14 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roosterboy (Post 4248118)
I agree. He can clearly recruit...but can he coach.
A good coach (Lawing) can make 3-star guys look good with technique, effort and playing smart....a good recruiter can bring in good players and do nothing with them.

I haven't been impressed so far with the lack of fundamentals and technique the line has shown since Adams has arrived (no hand fightin, no swims, spins...just bull rushing guys).

Did Deke take over coaching duties from Lawing this year?

Must've missed that...

lilhornet 09-03-2014 04:17 PM

Re: Defense making adjustments
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thekob (Post 4248274)
Did Deke take over coaching duties from Lawing this year?

Must've missed that...

Well he had three guys to go on to play in the NFL who were all upperclassmen. Lawing had the work done for him at that point.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.