CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Why won't Spurrier implement the spread offense here? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209814)

Evilchicken3 09-03-2014 12:03 AM

Why won't Spurrier implement the spread offense here?

Kevin Sumlin, Gus Malzahn, Bobby Petrino, Chip Kelly use it, and the list goes on. Varieties such as the air raid, and pro-spread have proven to be very lethal to opposing defenses, so why won't Spurrier, the inventor of the FNG try and implement it? If Texas A&m can use it for evil purposes, why can't we? I'd love to see a flat out killer spread be used here.

b381l 09-03-2014 12:10 AM

Re: Why won't Spurrier implement the spread offense here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilchicken3 (Post 4247618)
Kevin Sumlin, Gus Malzahn, Bobby Petrino, Chip Kelly use it, and the list goes on. Varieties such as the air raid, and pro-spread have proven to be very lethal to opposing defenses, so why won't Spurrier, the inventor of the FNG try and implement it? If Texas A&m can use it for evil purposes, why can't we? I'd love to see a flat out killer spread be used here.

Saban, Miles, Richt and Fisher don't.

Evilchicken3 09-03-2014 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4247621)
Saban, Miles, Richt and Fisher don't.

Spurrier is an OFFENSIVE guy. His thinking goes right along with the devastating aspect of the Spread. Isn't he the perfect guy to tinker with the Spread, or has he become too archaic in his thinking to innovate anymore?

b381l 09-03-2014 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilchicken3 (Post 4247626)
Spurrier is an OFFENSIVE guy. His thinking goes right along with the devastating aspect of the Spread. Isn't he the perfect guy to tinker with the Spread, or has he become too archaic in his thinking to innovate anymore?

SOS has already made adjustments to his offense to adapt to the zone read......his offense is fine......Malzahn's offense is more run oriented, it's not a spread.

kick_ball 09-03-2014 12:26 AM

All those guy you mention run very different offenses .. Sumlin runs a verison of the air raid, malzahn is actually a version of the zone read that's predicated on a very run first mentality (essentially the triple option out of the shotgun), Petrino actually had a balanced attack with a couple of pro sets the other night actually .. The spread is such a loose term and over used to describe such a variety of different offenses ... The overall idea is to get athletes into space

Ahmad 09-03-2014 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4247629)
SOS has already made adjustments to his offense to adapt to the zone read......his offense is fine......Malzahn's offense is more run oriented, it's not a spread.

It's basically a hybrid Option offense.

Talon1 09-03-2014 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilchicken3 (Post 4247618)

Clemson uses it also... I don't recall them being too successful against us recently. Just say'in...:golf:

b381l 09-03-2014 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahmad (Post 4247634)
It's basically a hybrid Option offense.

yes, but run first......

sunbeam 09-03-2014 01:58 AM

I have a personal definition of the spread. Basically the qb does not take snap directly from center, but it is a long snap. Additonally the qb is a designed runner.

Now even if I call it a spread, you can do it pass oriented like Clemson, or run like Malzahn, RichRod, or Nevada.

The Air Raid is often called a spread, and it does spread the field in a similar fashion. But the big difference to me is the qb really isn't a runner.

Though Sumlin and it looks like Holgorsen definitely seem to be adding qb runs to their spread versions. Sumlin rolled his qb out a lot, and he also ran a lot.

Maybe Halliday at Washington State is immobile, but Leach doesn't appear to be doing that. So maybe the Air Raid and Spread are converging.

I will say the line is kind of nebulous. The Chad seems to love to throw as much as Malzahn does to run.

COCKYWOOD 09-03-2014 02:56 AM

Zone read with DT doesn't work. Sorry, need a QB who can run.

b381l 09-03-2014 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD (Post 4247694)

hence the reason for increased use of the I including play action this year.....so will the I go the way of the back shoulder throw that was used so much in summer practice that we failed to see against A&M, or will we spring it on an unsuspecting ECU....only time will tell.....

ReadR00ster 09-03-2014 04:38 AM

I think what Sunbeam is wanting to have to Thompson line up in shotgun most of the time and the get the ball out quicker on short slants and outs, and skinny posts like A&M does. I think that is what he is getting at.

CockyLifer 09-03-2014 04:44 AM

Quote:

^Sadly you are correct.

CockyLifer 09-03-2014 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4247709)
I think what Sunbeam is wanting to have to Thompson line up in shotgun most of the time and the get the ball out quicker on short slants and outs, and skinny posts like A&M does. I think that is what he is getting at.

With 2 backs and we would be unbeatable.

Cocky Doodle 09-03-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Amen. Get Mitch in there for some zone read stuff. Otherwise - get in the freaking I formation if you want to run.

sunbeam 09-03-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4247709)

Nah, I was talking generically. About offenses in general.

Look... Dylan is likeable but if you are going to play the style you describe, which is pretty much the air raid, and what we will see Saturday.

Above all you have to be accurate. It just plain doesn't work if you aren't.

In a Leach system you can take a six foot tall guy no one wanted, a guy without a rocket arm, and he can put up statistics Andrew Luck could only have dreamed of.

But you have to be accurate in that system.

Other systems you don't have to be so accurate. Tebow had excellent passing numbers, but the nature of that offense meant he got easier throws to make.

I was hoping Thompson would be more accurate this year. Calm down, quit throwing the ball high. He's made some accurate passes, so I was hoping.

But while he doesn't have a lot of starts, this is his 5th year. I'm not sure he can improve. And if he doesn't, then you need to put in someone else who might be able to make those throws. And while it wouldn't bug me to see Orth get a shot, that would probably be Mitch.

Or you could change up and play like you had Shaw still with Nosovitch. Heck totally embrace the spread and play like Malzahn or RichRod are calling plays. I think this would be the strongest option.

But barring a bad injury or two, or a total offensive collapse I don't think we see that.

conwaycock2 09-03-2014 09:39 AM

With very few exceptions our offense has been mediocre without a mobile QB over the past 10 yrs. The latter part of 2006 with Blake is about the only time I can recall the offense operating at a high level with a straight drop back guy.

New day, new time. We absolutely must have a mobile QB imo. History with Spurrier at USC says it's true.

PageUSC 09-03-2014 09:42 AM

We do. We're in a spread formation about 90% of the time. 3-4 WRs, TE, RB.

I'm assuming you're asking why we don't run an up tempo style offense

kabercr2 09-03-2014 09:43 AM

Steve Spurrier's offese is fine especially when we get in the I and run and then play action off the run. Trying to have Dylan Thompson throw the ball 40 times a game will not work because he's just not that type of QB. This team wins when they play keep away.

Ahmad 09-03-2014 09:46 AM

I would like to see more 2 TE formations.