CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   iCocky (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The Golf Club Game (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209829)

usc_yogi 09-03-2014 02:37 PM

The Golf Club Game

Any of you next gen people pick this up yet? I think it is around $40. I was just wondering if it was any good and how good were the user created courses.

diehardgamecock 09-04-2014 09:38 AM

Re: The Golf Club Game

I did. Awesome game...way more on the realistic side than tiger woods. It focuses on skill rather than progression...no meters, it's all about "feel."

And the course creator is a game changer...very easy to use, lots of depth. There are already thousands of courses available. Some of the user created courses are really, really good. Best thing is, the courses are available to every platform, so you can play courses designed on the x1, ps4, or PC no matter which platform you are playing on (no cross-platform golfing though).

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

usc_yogi 09-04-2014 08:22 PM

Good deal. I'm glad they got the cross platform custom courses feature worked out.

CurryStorm 09-09-2014 06:10 PM

I got it also (PS4). I have really enjoyed it thus far. I think it's a really good golf game; however, I will say that the only other golf game I've ever owned was one on the Sega Genesis.

I haven't tried any of the tours or tournaments yet, just been messing around with 9/18 holes on different courses. Some people have complained of stuttering/lagginess, etc. but it has run smooth for me since launch day. I was shooting around +20 or so for every 18 holes because I couldn't putt worth a darn. I looked on youtube for some tutorials and discovered that I wasn't aiming my putt correctly. After watching the tutorials and taking time for some practice, I shot a -4 last night, my first score below par. Very rewarding.

You probably know all of this already, but there are no meters - everything is analog (how far you pull the right analog stick down, how fast you push it forward is how you control your swings). While you can (very minimally) custom create your character, you can't upgrade them (so they're more accurate, hit farther, putt better, etc.) - everything is strictly your skill with the analog stick. There is also no offline/single player career mode or anything like that. You can create your own tours by using the created courses and play against the "ghosts" of other players or against your friends in real time.

I'm waiting on my Dad and younger brother to finally blow the cobwebs off their wallets and get the game too, so we can get with some other players around our own skill and start up a tour.

diehardgamecock 09-09-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurryStorm (Post 4255256)
I got it also (PS4). I have really enjoyed it thus far. I think it's a really good golf game; however, I will say that the only other golf game I've ever owned was one on the Sega Genesis.

I haven't tried any of the tours or tournaments yet, just been messing around with 9/18 holes on different courses. Some people have complained of stuttering/lagginess, etc. but it has run smooth for me since launch day. I was shooting around +20 or so for every 18 holes because I couldn't putt worth a darn. I looked on youtube for some tutorials and discovered that I wasn't aiming my putt correctly. After watching the tutorials and taking time for some practice, I shot a -4 last night, my first score below par. Very rewarding.

You probably know all of this already, but there are no meters - everything is analog (how far you pull the right analog stick down, how fast you push it forward is how you control your swings). While you can (very minimally) custom create your character, you can't upgrade them (so they're more accurate, hit farther, putt better, etc.) - everything is strictly your skill with the analog stick. There is also no offline/single player career mode or anything like that. You can create your own tours by using the created course and play against the "ghosts" of other players or against your friends in real time.

I'm waiting on my Dad and younger brother to finally blow the cobwebs off their wallets and get the game too, so we can get with some other players around our own skill and start up a tour.

cool.

check out my two courses...give 'em a play and rate them, if you don't mind:

boulder hills & oasis dunes.

:thumbsup:

CurryStorm 09-09-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diehardgamecock (Post 4255279)
cool.

Will do. Playing a tournament in Little Brook Manor right now. 4 under par after a round and a half.

diehardgamecock 09-09-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurryStorm (Post 4255320)
Will do. Playing a tournament in Little Brook Manor right now. 4 under par after a round and a half.

nice. fyi: my buddy's course, bunker gap, is really cool too.

CurryStorm 09-09-2014 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diehardgamecock (Post 4255279)
cool.

I tried searching and there are 3 Oasis Dunes. The first has five par 5s, the second has four par 5s and the third has three par 5s. Which one is yours?

There's only one Boulder Hills, so I'm going to try that now. I've been shooting around a -4 or so on the "Easy" courses so it'll be interesting to see what I do on your "Medium" one.

CurryStorm 09-09-2014 10:52 PM

Just tried Boulder Hills... it was brutal. I finished with a +30. The wind was 10mph and kept blowing my ball into rocks. Lol

Weird thing, though - When I finished the 18th hole, my PS4 told me an error occurred and closed the game. I restarted it and and continued the game and it took me back to the very last shot on the 18th hole. I made the putt again, but once again, the PS4 gave me the error and signed me out. I did this 3 more times, and each time after making the final putt, it would not take me to the final scorecard screen but just kept closing the game with the error. I'm not sure if it's going to show as someone actually completing the course because I can't get passed that final shot on the last hole.

Anyway, yeah, the course is very well put together but a little out of my league. I guess I'll try continuing the game tomorrow and see if it goes through - maybe the servers are just messed up tonight.

I will say this - the highlight of the course is me having to hit it out of the sand on Hole 4 with a rattlesnake two feet from my legs. :lol:

diehardgamecock 09-09-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurryStorm (Post 4255478)
Just tried Boulder Hills... it was brutal. I finished with a +30. The wind was 10mph and get blowing my ball into rocks. Lol

Weird thing, though - When I finished the 18th hole, my PS4 told me an error occurred and closed the game. I restarted it and and continued the game and it took me back to the very last shot on the 18th hole. I made the putt again, but once again, the PS4 gave me the error and signed me out. I did this 3 more times, and each time after making the final putt, it would not take me to the final scorecard screen but just kept closing the game with the error. I'm not sure if it's going to show as someone actually completing the course because I can't get passed that final shot on the last hole.

Anyway, yeah, the course is very well put together but a little out of my league. I guess I'll try continuing the game tomorrow and see if it goes through - maybe the servers are just messed up tonight.

I will say this - the highlight of the course is me having to hit it out of the sand on Hole 4 with a rattlesnake two feet from my legs. :lol:

hahahaha...yeah...there's a rattlesnake (or two) hidden on every hole. some more so than others. ;)

the course IS brutal with high wind...no doubt. i've played it with the 10-12 mph winds and it's just tough as nails. i've also played it with 3-5 mph winds and it's very enjoyable.

try it again if you get a chance...maybe the wind will be better.

diehardgamecock 09-10-2014 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurryStorm (Post 4255438)
I tried searching and there are 3 Oasis Dunes. The first has five par 5s, the second has four par 5s and the third has three par 5s. Which one is yours?

my oasis dunes has 4 par 5's.

if you play it, give it a rating...it has none right now...and fyi, it's easier than boulder hills.

SECgamecock453 09-10-2014 08:51 AM

I might get it on Steam if it ever goes 75% off (or more of course).

diehardgamecock 09-10-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SECgamecock453 (Post 4255711)
I might get it on Steam if it ever goes 75% off (or more of course).

it's well worth $35 as is.

Cockdiesel7 09-10-2014 05:03 PM

Im thinking about getting it. I miss the days of golf tournaments on tiger woods with my buddies