CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Is it time we get a full time offensive Coordinator? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209849)

Clowneygotcha 09-03-2014 11:03 PM

Is it time we get a full time offensive Coordinator?

Feels like we are the only team in all of CFB that doesn't have a full time offensive coordinator. Spurrier is good, but at some point he does more than his job requires. Is it time to get an offensive coordinator?

Edit** I understand that Shawn Elliot and Steve Spurrier Jr. are Co-Offensive Coordinators, but I am talking about getting a real full time offensive coordinator.

Lalli25 09-03-2014 11:14 PM

Re: Is it time we get a full time offensive Coordinator?

No. What you are basically saying, is you want spurrier to be a figure head of the program and not a coach. It is not too much to be an OC and HC.

Clowneygotcha 09-03-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalli25 (Post 4248603)
No. What you are basically saying, is you want spurrier to be a figure head of the program and not a coach. It is not too much to be an OC and HC.

So every coach including Sumlin, Saban etc is just a figure head?

Lalli25 09-03-2014 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha (Post 4248604)

Those guys both run a side of the ball. Sumlin calls plays just like SOS. Saban designed the D and helps all week with the staff and is not just sitting back and watching. You get a new OC and it is no longer SOS's offense and he'd be a figure head.

Lalli25 09-03-2014 11:22 PM

The offense scored 28 points while being one dimensional due to there being no D. I don't get why so many are being dumb and wanting to change the O? It is the DC scheme that's been an issue for years but covered up by freak talent like Ingram and Clowney.

Evilchicken3 09-03-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha (Post 4248592)
Feels like we are the only team in all of CFB that doesn't have a full time offensive coordinator. Spurrier is good, but at some point he does more than his job requires. Is it time to get an offensive coordinator?

Edit** I understand that Shawn Elliot and Steve Spurrier Jr. are Co-Offensive Coordinators, but I am talking about getting a real full time offensive coordinator.

It's way past time. We need a younger, fresher mindset to help Steve tinker with some new options on offense. Steve can still be the main strategist, but we need some younger blood.

Yearofthegamecock 09-03-2014 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalli25 (Post 4248603)

Yeah we need no dabo

Evilchicken3 09-03-2014 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yearofthegamecock (Post 4248617)
Yeah we need no dabo

True. A Dabo is a brother can't get no love from me. Hang in' out the passenger side of some OC's ride trying to holler at me.

Latti2001 09-03-2014 11:33 PM

We have a legend in the HBC calling our plays, and one of the best who will ever coach the game.

We may need some adjustments to our defensive staff and/or methods, but we're just fine on offense with Spurrier!

kabercr2 09-03-2014 11:52 PM

When you see a full time offensive coordinator is when youll see Steve Spurrier walking out the door.

TAFC 5 1981 09-04-2014 12:21 AM

What if we loan y'all Morris for a season so Spurrier can teach him how to call plays.

BlackMagic84 09-04-2014 12:44 AM

To answer simply the question of this thread....

NO.

I haven't seen a thread or topic like this in over 4 years. Sure wasn't one floating around last week either before the A&M game. Now SOS and the gamecocks lose a bad one and we're ready to start talking about a new or full time OC? Oh geeze...

The day we get a new or full-time OC is also the day we are getting a new head coach. As long as SOS is here, he is going to call his "ball plays". That's just part of the deal.

IMO, we are fine with what we have. It was hardly the offense or play calling that created that mess of a game last week.

ReadR00ster 09-04-2014 12:54 AM

Spurrier is here to call the plays. It's why he is still coaching. If he retires from calling plays, he retires period.

ReadR00ster 09-04-2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAFC 5 1981 (Post 4248649)
What if we loan y'all Morris for a season so Spurrier can teach him how to call plays.

You mean he could teach us how to lose to his instate rival. You'd like that.

b381l 09-04-2014 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha (Post 4248604)

if SOS stops calling plays, he'll quit coaching....

Flameout12 09-04-2014 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilchicken3 (Post 4248616)
It's way past time. We need a younger, fresher mindset to help Steve tinker with some new options on offense. Steve can still be the main strategist, but we need some younger blood.

Not too bright, eh?
We already have this: G.A. Mangus
Quote:

Prior to Carolina, he was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Middle Tennessee State for three seasons under former Gamecock coach Rick Stockstill.

Mangus took over the Delaware Valley program in May 2002, went 2-8 in his first season, and turned the team into an NCAA Division III championship contender. In the next three seasons Delaware Valley notched a 33-4 record, won three conference championships, and advanced to the national quarterfinals twice.
In 2003, Mangus directed the Aggies to the fifth-best one-year turnaround in Division III history. They finished 9-2 and captured the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Southeast Championship, earning him Coach of the Year honors.
In 2004 and 2005, Mangus led the Aggies to perfect back-to-back regular-season records and the team's first overall Middle Atlantic Conference championship.

TStone 09-04-2014 09:36 AM

No.

Two reasons - 1) Spurrier is doing just fine, thank you. 2) Spurrier has said before that if he isn't the OC he won't be coaching at all. It's what he enjoys the most.

CoverTwo 09-04-2014 09:43 AM

Absolutely not.

usc90grad 09-04-2014 09:44 AM

I'd rather get a full time Defensive Coordinator.

Emery 09-04-2014 10:13 AM

Honestly, if we truly needed an offensive coordinator then I wouldn't want Spurrier as a head coach. He's there for the offense, not necessarily his managerial skills. If we went that direction, I would think we would need a head coach better suited for that kind of role.