CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The Top 10 Things I like about USC (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209855)

Kyle76 09-04-2014 10:34 AM

The Top 10 Things I like about USC

Contrary to the opinion of some here, I didn't join the board to stir things up, only to discuss a little football. I did probably PO some guy named Lemon in a thread by calling him Liz Lemon several times, but he was being pretty obnoxious. In the interest of fan unity, here are the top 10 things I like about USC.

1. Clemson rivalry. It's one of the most heated and antagonistic in college football.
2. Fan loyalty. Who wouldn't be impressed with a team going 0-11 two years in a row and still putting 80k in the stands week after week?
3. Brad Edwards. I don't know how many here remember him, but he worked in the office next to mine for a couple of years. Great guy. I'm sorry his career in the USC athletics department didn't work out.
4. Friends who are fans. Some of my closest friends are USC fans. One woman is the most rabid fan that I know of any sport.
5. Willingness to schedule ECU. You guys would play us when our sister schools in NC refused. Heck, you even came to Greenville a few times.
6. Tailgating. We have a pretty great tailgating scene, but you guys take it to another level with your private lots, live music, bathrooms, bars, TVs, etc. And I've never even been in a Cockaboose, although a friend from here owns one.
7. The State of SC. I've had some great times there -- upstate, downstate, Myrtle Beach, the Ryder Cup, etc.
8. 1999 hospitality. You guys let us stick around for a week's practice after we beat you in 1999 and couldn't get back to Greenville due to devastating flooding from Hurricane Floyd. We had to play Miami the following week in Raleigh and pulled out one of our greatest victories over the ninth-ranked Hurricanes.
9. Cocks. It's pretty funny the way you embrace your name, and there's something kind of sexy about a good-looking girl hollering "Go Cocks!" over and over.
10. Carolina. It annoys the crap out of UNC fans that you have the audacity to call yourselves "Carolina." I can't tell you how many times I've heard holes fans declare that they are the "real" Carolina. Anything that annoys the holes is good by me.

Here's to a good game on Saturday.

Storm Of Spurs 09-04-2014 03:09 PM

Re: The Top 10 Things I like about USC

Quick question -- why is it that fans of other schools think we honestly care whether they like us, our school, our teams, our coaches, our players, our campus, etc, etc.?

Here's a quick hint -- we don't.

Seriously.

cockybreeyan 09-04-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormOfTalons (Post 4249098)
Quick question -- why is it that fans of other schools think we honestly care whether they like us, our school, our teams, our coaches, our players, our campus, etc, etc.?

Seriously.

dude why are you always so grumpy?

BoobyScoot 09-04-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Seriously.

Excuse that dude. Some people just don't know how to take a compliment. I hope most Gamecock fans will enjoy your post and be proud that there are reasons for visitors to like our state, university, athletic program, and tailgate atmosphere.

Thank Kyle76

:woo:

kick_ball 09-04-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Seriously.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/c21986a11...wo1_r1_500.gif

Kyle76 09-04-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoobyScoot (Post 4249111)
Excuse that dude. Some people just don't know how to take a compliment. I hope most Gamecock fans will enjoy your post and be proud that there are reasons for visitors to like our state, university, athletic program, and tailgate atmosphere.

Thank Kyle76

:woo:

Ha! No problem. I dig his icon.

CockyInTexas 09-04-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockybreeyan (Post 4249109)
dude why are you always so grumpy?

Grumpy is NOT the word I had in mind...

A. Pilgrim 09-04-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle76 (Post 4248796)
Contrary to the opinion of some here, I didn't join the board to stir things up, only to discuss a little football. I did probably PO some guy named Lemon in a thread by calling him Liz Lemon several times, but he was being pretty obnoxious. In the interest of fan unity, here are the top 10 things I like about USC.

1. Clemson rivalry. It's one of the most heated and antagonistic in college football.
2. Fan loyalty. Who wouldn't be impressed with a team going 0-11 two years in a row and still putting 80k in the stands week after week?
3. Brad Edwards. I don't know how many here remember him, but he worked in the office next to mine for a couple of years. Great guy. I'm sorry his career in the USC athletics department didn't work out.
4. Friends who are fans. Some of my closest friends are USC fans. One woman is the most rabid fan that I know of any sport.
5. Willingness to schedule ECU. You guys would play us when our sister schools in NC refused. Heck, you even came to Greenville a few times.
6. Tailgating. We have a pretty great tailgating scene, but you guys take it to another level with your private lots, live music, bathrooms, bars, TVs, etc. And I've never even been in a Cockaboose, although a friend from here owns one.
7. The State of SC. I've had some great times there -- upstate, downstate, Myrtle Beach, the Ryder Cup, etc.
8. 1999 hospitality. You guys let us stick around for a week's practice after we beat you in 1999 and couldn't get back to Greenville due to devastating flooding from Hurricane Floyd. We had to play Miami the following week in Raleigh and pulled out one of our greatest victories over the ninth-ranked Hurricanes.
9. Cocks. It's pretty funny the way you embrace your name, and there's something kind of sexy about a good-looking girl hollering "Go Cocks!" over and over.
10. Carolina. It annoys the crap out of UNC fans that you have the audacity to call yourselves "Carolina." I can't tell you how many times I've heard holes fans declare that they are the "real" Carolina. Anything that annoys the holes is good by me.

Good stuff man. As a lifelong USC fan as well as alum- appreciate the kind words.

I've spent a decent amount of time in the Raleigh area and some small towns between Raleigh and the coast- interesting and good people, fun times.

BTW- cultural tip; its 'lowcountry' not 'downstate'
:thumbsup:

Copperhead 09-04-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle76 (Post 4249135)
Ha! No problem. I dig his icon.

He doesn't care. Seriously. You'd think with the skull and sort of cross bones that he'd be kinder to a pirate.

Cocky chick 09-04-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Seriously.

Wow. Nice guy. We aren't all like that.

Seriously.

TrueGarnet 09-04-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Seriously.

'Section 509 guy, wearing the camo shirt'.....is that you?

cocky0 09-04-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 4249170)
He doesn't care. Seriously. You'd think with the skull and sort of cross bones that he'd be kinder to a pirate.

Maybe his Roger isn't so Jolly.

makingitdrizzle 09-04-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Seriously.

This clown needs a hug....

AtlGAMECOCK 09-04-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle76 (Post 4248796)

6. Tailgating. We have a pretty great tailgating scene, but you guys take it to another level with your bathrooms.

Who would have thought bathrooms were such a big deal

B-G 09-04-2014 06:43 PM

I just want to Question the Real Carolina/Fake Carolina thing.

Southern Cal goes by USC, but we say we are the Real USC because we were a school first.

UNC goes by Carolina and they were a school before us.

Clowneygotcha 09-04-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4249242)

Southern Cal goes by USC, but we say we are the Real USC because we were a school first.

Whoever wins the most that year is the real one. Just how it goes. Legally its just a bunch of bs.

B-G 09-04-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha (Post 4249250)
Whoever wins the most that year is the real one. Just how it goes. Legally its just a bunch of bs.

Does it go by season or one sport?

Clowneygotcha 09-04-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4249272)

Not really sure.

Kyle76 09-04-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4249272)

There is really only one sport for 90% of UNC fans. I'll give you an example. One of my good friends went to UNC. He lives and dies by the basketball team. He couldn't care less about football. His daughter went to USC, and now he follows Gamecock football and baseball much more closely than his own alma mater.

Spartan 09-04-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4249242)

This isn't accurate. Southern Cal and North Carolina were nationally relevant athletic programs in the 50s-60s when college sports really started to take off nationally. The media called them by those nicknames for obvious reasons. It's the same with Ohio State's OSU (which many other universities claim) and Michigan State with MSU (which when I see it I always think Mississippi state). If we had been a national power in those days it's likely that this wouldn't be a topic of discussion.

The other reason they have those nicknames is because they started branding themselves before we did. First come first serve. That said, we are USC and Carolina. We were USC first, and we have called ourselves Carolina since the beginning. It's in our alma mater. It's on our logo. It's in our blood. I run into NC fans quite often, and I always explain that regardless of what they think we are Carolina too.

Oh, and we are SC. So Cal can go screw themselves on that one. Ask anyone in the nation what SC is an abbreviation for and everyone will give you the same answer unless you live in Los Angeles.