Originally Posted by GapoGamecock51
I live in a rural part of South Carolina and it is hard to travel to and from Columbia on a regular basis to work a job in town....I am interested in starting a junk business........Collecting construction materials, scrap metal, cleaning out barns, outbuildings, sheds, etc to make a profit......I have a young man who is interested in working with me, and my wife is excellent at keeping anything to do with finances in order.....What advice could you guys and gals give me?
There are several problem areas:
1. Hard to determine value of many of the items.....pricing.
2. Need to have a fairly large lot and original amount of capital. Those types of places always have a lot of inventory.
3. Location needs to be accessible to many people.
4. Start up costs can get expensive.....advertising, etc.
5. Basic bookkeeping is fairly easy and inexpensive with Quickbooks but keeping up with inventory can be a problem.
6. Best to set up single member LLC, very easy and inexpensive.
7. Is co-worker going to be an owner or employee....if he's an owner, that makes the legal issues much more complicated.
These are just a few issues you need to address.