View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #18
3MTA3
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock1983 View Post
That's interesting. How were you compensated? Was it treated like a work study?

Perhaps that's a viable solution. Allow ALL athletes to collect work study wages for their time spend practicing and competing. No, they won't get rich. But, they won't be entirely broke either. That also nullifies the "We can't work, the NCAA won't let us" crowd.
NCAA athletes are currently allowed to work, its just that most that do only do so in the offseason, due to football taking up so much of their time. I think what Yancey is saying is that, for him, theatre involved a lot of work, which he was compensated for. Student athletes also put in a lot of work, but they are not compensated outside of scholarships and such. They do get a stipend now, I believe, but it is paltry in comparison to what student athletes bring in for the university.

And what about the universities, or sports, that don't generate any revenue? Well, I'd assume they'd be handled like Yancey's theatre work compensation.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote