View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #17
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Re: Nelson Mandela--dead

"Do not judge me on my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again."-Nelson Mandela (1918-2013)

“When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace.”- Nelson Mandela

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world" - Nelson Mandela

He was a master of disguise: When Mandela was eluding authorities during his fight against apartheid, he disguised himself in various ways, including as a chauffeur. The press nicknamed him "the Black Pimpernel" because of his police evasion tactics. "I became a creature of the night. I would keep to my hideout during the day, and would emerge to do my work when it became dark," he says in his biography, "Long Walk to Freedom."

He was on the U.S. terror watch list: Mandela wasn't removed from the U.S. terror watch list until 2008 -- at age 89. He and other members of the African National Congress were placed on it because of their militant fight against apartheid.

Apartheid was the nation's system of legalized racial segregation that was enforced by the National Party government between 1948 and 1994.

"He had no place on our government's terror watch list, and I'm pleased to see this bill finally become law," said Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts.

He drew his inspiration from a poem: While locked up at Robben Island for decades, Mandela would read William Ernest Henley's "Invictus" to fellow prisoners. The poem, about never giving up, resonated with Mandela for its lines "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul." You may know it from the movie, Invictus, starring Morgan Freeman as Mandela.

Last edited by Travelin; 12-06-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote