Thread: AP All-SEC
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #19
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 58943
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: AP All-SEC

I can see what they did at RB, and I can't disagree with it. When there are just so many good players at the positions, you go with the top ones that have produced stat-wise. Davis was clearly the top RB in the conference through 8 games or so, but he just got wore down too much towards the end, and struggled to maintain the pace and score TDs. While both Hill and Mason continued if not got stronger as the season progressed.

At the end, Davis got passed by both in terms of rushing ypg, and both scored more rushing tds than Davis. Therefore anything that could be argued in Davis' behalf for why he should be 1st-team, they can also argue it and argue that they did better. Mike was an excellent receiving RB and did more there than either, but as a true RB I think Mike ends up 3rd this season, and he's rightly placed on 2nd team.

Still doesn't change what a great season he had for us, and how excited I am to see what he does next season. Some questions could be asked how well Davis might have done had Wilds been healthier to give him more breathers between plays: Davis took himself out of drives often, so I doubt the added contributions of Wilds would've diminished his ypc, and may have helped him have more energy and burst on some runs in late stages. Also during the mid-season we didn't see more of either Carson or Smith to help out Davis when Wilds was out and Shaw was hobbled. It might have helped Davis be stronger down the stretch for better games than what he ultimately had...