View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: how is coach botkin as a recruiter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Whomever identified and recruited Skai Moore is alright in my book. The dearth in the linebacking corps can't be pinned on him. For some reason we were striking out left and right under EJ at that position meanwhile he was helping get clowney.
EJ rarely blitzed. Anyone who watched films of our defense would think "I want to go to a school that takes chances and has an aggressive, in-your-face defense. South Carolina plays it conservative. No thanks, I'll pass."

Our linebacking has a long way to go.

Yes, they made significant progress, but we are not good at all at stuffing the run, and it's NOT because our guys are "small".

It doesn't matter how big you are if you AREN'T EVEN THERE!

Our guys need to understand that it is their job to clog the running lanes and not just the job of the tackles. I think they were scared to death of being caught with their pants down on pass plays and therefore stayed out of the lanes, but they've got a year under their belts and they need to play with confidence, ala Skai Moore. That kid is the real deal.

I'm hoping that Bryant shows out next season. He was supposed to be the real deal, too.

Also, our guys need major work on the fundamentals of tackling. Break down, square the shoulders, wrap up. Don't cross your feet in the open field, etc. They teach this stuff in high school. Botkin needs to address this immediately. No excuses.

The Spur? We don't seem to have a solution for that position right now.

Still, I like faster, slimmer linebackers more than most do. If they are smart and play their assignments well, properly executed tackles will take down even the best runners.

I think this crew can get the job done next year, except for the spur position. Just don't know who is going to step up there.