View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Civil War Descendants?

On my dad's side there was fighting on both sides- they were essentially mercenaries. Interesting story about that, though- my last name as it is today was born out of the civil war when it had been spelled 'Waite' but on the federal checks as payment for my ancestor's service, they spelled it 'Waitt' on accident, so he ended up taking the mislabeled name in order to be paid.

On my mother's side, however, they fought exclusively for the South and we actually have the sword that my great-great-great grandfather had while being cherrged to protect the cattle. A job that sounds boring, but it was a big deal because where he lived was directly where Sherman's army entered SC. The sword is French made and dates back to 1803(I think). I'll try to dig up a picture of it.

Unrelated to my family, my girlfriend is a direct descendant of Maj.Gen. John C.Breckinridge, who was the 14th US Vice President (youngest in history) and Presidential candidate prior to the war (he's the one most of the South voted for instead of Lincoln). During the war he was a major general and then secretary of war towards the end. He was supposedly the one who saved the records from being destroyed when Richmond was being attacked.
Give a larbage, throw out your garbage.
Metalrush24 is online now   Reply With Quote