View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
brat
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material
Default Re: Civil War Descendants?

Both of my Great Great Grandfathers fought in Kershaw's Brigade, which was in almost every major battle of the war
(2nd Manassas, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, etc).

One was in the SC 15th (largely made up of troops from Richland and Kershaw Counties) and the other was in the SC 20th (mostly made up of troops form Lexington and Orangeburg Counties).

The one in the 15th was on my Dad's mother side of the family. He was shot in the hip in the Battle of the Wilderness and said that was the worst fighting he had ever seen. He lived until the mid 1920's and Dad said he has a vague memory of him and there is an old photo of him sitting on his lap as a toddler. Still had a long white beard.

The one in the 20th was on my Dad's father side of the family. The 20th originally served around Charleston and was sent to Virginia in 1864 just in time for the battle of Cold Harbor. On Christmas Eve of 1864, while standing around a campfire near Richmond, he just dropped dead and was buried nearby.

My ancestors in Lexington (then known as Lexington Court House, SC) have several stories about the visit of Sherman's troops on the way to Columbia, destroying property out of spite, stealing food, setting houses afire, killing animals, making the young boys in the family, both under the age of 5, fight each other for their amusement, etc.