View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
Smashies_AC30
The Garnet Invasion

Male

CockyCash: 500
Smashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPit
Default Re: I became a State Trooper yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotKyle View Post
I'm in Troop 1, on the roads of Lexington. There are a lot of traffic collisions there, so it's a tough place to work. I'm ready for it.
If I can recommend anything, know the DUI 'clues' cold. Not just the clues for the SFSTs either. Memorize the clues for car-in-motion and the clues for the pull-over phase as well as you know the clues for the SFSTs. Also, I know it might involve doing this on your time off, but find officers, deputies, and/or troopers who love to testify in trials and pick their brain for advice as much as you can—even go watch them in court. We've got the most demanding DUI law in the country, so it's especially important in South Carolina to be prepared to fight for a conviction by trial and not just a plea. Never let their feet (not even a toe) go off camera if you can help it, especially under your cruiser's brush guard. Finally, if something goes wrong with your video (i.e. a malfunction), make a habit of providing a Humble affidavit to the prosecutor early on and ask your supervisor or DUI prosecutor exactly what needs to go in them. Hopefully you won't have to write many though!

I'm really, really excited for you and I'm happy to see your kind of enthusiasm for the Patrol. You're going to be a great trooper and I wish you the absolute best.

(PM me if you have any questions!)
Smashies_AC30 is offline   Reply With Quote