View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Spurrier to Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
LOL you know how bad I got flamed for saying that about Dabo? People cant put down the garnet glasses to see that while the man isnt that great of a "coach" he's a heck of a salesman, and can recruit with the best of him. With texas money, he'll have no problem at all finding quality coaches.
Exactly! I don't know why all of you hate Dabo, but I hate him because he's not a coach yet he is given all the success from the Clemson football program. He deserves very minimal success that comes from on-the-field. That all goes to Chad Morris and Brent Venables and other coaches!

Dabo can recruit. He could sell underwear to a nudist if he wanted too. He relates to the recruits. The recruits that he wants generally tend to like him too. Can you image what Dabo would do with an insane budget? Talk about great recruiting classes and a great coaching staff.

That's what people tend to forget. The head coach of your team isn't always that important. For example: Alabama. If Nick Saban were to leave they might take a slight hit in recruiting, and maybe a slight hit on the field. But do you guys honestly think that Kirby Smart/Doug Nussmeier wouldn't keep that ball rolling?

Steve Spurrier is more vital to South Carolina that Nick Saban is to Alabama or Dabo Sweeney is to Clemson. Heck, Spurrier might be one of the most vital coaches to any team in America. I'd have to look around but he might be.

My opinion is based on the success of a program based on what the other coaches on staff could do. Example: Saban is a defensive genius. Kirby Smart could replace him. He may not be as great of a coach, but he is damn good. Dabo Sweeney is a great recruiter. Chad Morris and Brent Venables would do fine recruiting without him. Especially Chad Morris. Steve Spurrier is an offensive genius. I'm not so sure I trust SOSjr. or Mangus, or Elliott to take control of the play calling if Spurrier were to leave.