View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Country music today

I'll first admit I'm not a country fan...I borderline hate it...but hey, if people like it, fine, I can also turn the dial or download something else.

But this video hits it...extremely redundant/cookie-cutter...almost like the same guy is writing everybody's songs...I will admit there are two or three people I like (Rascal Flatt, Brad Paisley and Keith Urban) but to me, nearly every guy sounds and looks the same, as does every girl.

I'm more of a fan of old country and bluegrass (among also jazz, blues, classical all the way through different genres of rock and metal). I can say this isn't a problem just confined to country music. Today's "pop" music is all electronic, auto-tuning...a lot like House music we had in the 1990s (which virtually no one liked...go figure). Even rock music is getting cookie-cutter (at least in sound styles and pacing of songs).

Honestly...the problem is the music distributors I think...they tell the artisits what is cool, what sound they need to go for, that "this forumula worked for this person, so we will do it with you too."

Sadly, it is the balance of creativity and commerce, and right now commerce is winning at the expense of art...and yes, true country music is art and a part of our culture..the same way blues and jazz is apart of our culture...it is OUR (American) music.

And the reason so many country singers, and singers in general, aren't willing to change is that labels will drop them and find someone else that will do what they want.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote