View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 12:29 AM   #20
FurmanCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 540
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Willing to play certain FCS schools?

I think SC (SEC era and under Spurrier) wins 9 out of 10 games against any FCS champions, there is simply too much discrepancy in talent levels and depth. I think we would lose about 10% of the time simply because there are some very good, complete, well disciplined FCS teams, with strong systems in place. We would lose at some point to one of those teams, but it wouldn't be often.

Now I mention SEC era SC teams, because our football program has improved dramatically since we joined the SEC, especially under Spurrier. The program before our SEC involvement, I would probably say would have won maybe 7 out of 10 games if we played at a home-field of a FCS champion. Having attended Furman during the 80's, I had some first hand insight one of the top Division 1-AA schools for the decade (two second place finishes, and one national championship in 1988). Between 1982 - 85, we beat SC, Georgia Tech and NC State (twice) -- while obviously always playing on the road. If we had a chance to play a Division 1-A school on our home field (taking away their home field advantage), I would have put our odds of victory at about a 50-50 chance against most schools, (excluding a Big George or Herschel team). At that time, Furman had well disciplined teams, that never beat themselves and were extremely well coached (Dick Sheridan and Jimmy Satterfield).

To those who say we would win 10 out of 10 games played against an FCS champion team on their home field, they are simply delusional. If you start looking at schools that have been dominant for an extended period of time, it's because they are good. They have continuity in their coaching staffs, have a developed program, and have recruited athletes that fit their systems. The current SC program should win 9 out of 10 games played against that sort of team in an away game, but we don't win 10 out of 10.
FurmanCock is offline   Reply With Quote