View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #18
GapoGamecock51
I Put Threadz 2 Sleep

Male

CockyCash: 24873509
GapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GapoGamecock51 Send a message via Yahoo to GapoGamecock51
Default Re: CNN analysis: Some college athletes play like adults, read like 5th-graders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox View Post
Blame that on "whole language reading" where the students were not taught phonics, but were taught to recognize the entire word. Whole language is fine for languages where every word has it's own symbol (i.e Japanese or Chinese). But for languages like ours, phonics is how to teach people to read.
I can honestly say that, "Hooked On Phonics Worked For Me." I started on it in the early 90's...........It seems to me to be a tragic notion that a man can enter college without the ability to read or read at a necessary level.......It is an indictment of our own complacency in being dependent on government, and the state of public education.

As a side note, my wife told me today that compared to the math she took in the Philippines, going through math here in the U.S. with a young lady she tutors, were she to do it on her own, it would be a breeze for her. Take that as you will. But it seems sad.

Gapo