View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 01:20 AM   #4
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material
Default Re: has shaw passed lattimore as

This question is nothing more than the opinion of an indivual poster. However, people will forever love and cherish every moment they ever witnessed of Lattimore. Every word he ever spoke to media, and every image of him will last forever. Such a humble, quiet guy with a work ethic that no one will ever forget. No one will ever stop caring and loving Marcus Lattimore.

But, at the same time, I don't think it's really on the same scale. People love Marcus because of who he is, and what he did. They love him even more for his strive for greatness and willpower to never give up. Marcus Lattimore built a fanbase across the entire nation. While some of it my be built off the heartache of his injuries, I believe in Gamecock Nation most of it was built off his characther.

Shaw is a different story completely. He was a leader on the field even when he wasn't on the field. People like to think that Garcia and Shaw had some type of rivalry which isn't true. They just weren't close friends like Shaw and Thompson. Shaw will forever be loved and remembered by Gamecocks for his W's, and his character. A QB that didn't get in trouble for once and did all the right things, said all the right things. He failed to light up the stat book in terms of yards or attempts, but not only did he get the job done, but he got the job done well. As a 3 year starters and 4 year player he has the best career ever as a QB for the Gamecocks - and he was one of the most valuable players in the country, not only at his position, but in College. He didn't win any awards or get the nominations/recognition he deserved but he just did all the right things.

So in my opinion - which is mine - I think Shaw did pass Lattimore as the "most popular Gamecock" but it would be hard for him to pass Lattimore as the "most loved". But to each his own, and they are both tremendous young men and Gamecocks, and we couldn't have been luckier to have them both.