View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 02:15 AM   #13
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Pankake moving to 3rd base

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
why would he be moved to 3rd base.....his fielding and throwing were not his strengths.....after last year, I was under the impression he was going to the outfield.
His arm strength is some of the best on the team. He wasn't a great SS simply because he lacked range - hence most of his fielding errors. Joey will be fine at third. Most of the balls hit to third are lasers, or at least get to you quicker than they would at short. So in reality, he has more time to step and throw.

He can and probably will still see some time in the outfield. The 3B/LF spots were up for grab between a number of guys; Matt Williams (FR; 3B/2B), Joey Pankake (JR; 3B/LF), Elliott Caldwell (JR; 3B/LF), Gene Cone (FR; OF), Brock Maxwell (FR; OF), and Zach Madden (FR; OF). Elliott Caldwell has his chances at third, but the coaching staff has decided to put Elliott Caldwell in left instead. Cone is easily the best OF of the bunch, and was the most consistent hitter of the fall. Madden and Maxwell struggled this fall (Brock didn't record a single hit).

With JP at 3B and EC in LF this gives us the two best hitters (average/power) in our lineup, with a team leader at 3B and a guy with SEC experience in the infield.

He will be better than Verg at 3B and similar to LB, but with better arm strength. I'm really liking our infield, and our defensive lineup in general.

C - Greyson Greiner; Logan Koch/Pat Harrington
1B - Kyle Martin; Brison Celek
2B - Max Schrock ; DC Arendas/Matt Williams
SS - Marcus Mooney ; DC Arendas/Jordan Gore/Matt Williams
3B - Joey Pankake; Elliott Caldwell/Matt Williams/DC Arendas
LF - Elliott Caldwell; Gene Cone/Jordan Gore
CF - Tanner English; Gene Cone
RF - Connor Bright ; Gene Cone/Brock Maxwell

That's a solid group of fielders. If Connor struggles defensively, but is alive at the plate (similar to last year), I fully expect Gene Cone to get a shot. He was one of the best defensive outfielders we had in the fall (with MULTIPLE assist from the outfield) and he wasn't to shabby at the plate either.

DH - Brison Celek/Taylor Widener/Connor Bright/Elliott Caldwell (depending on who is playing the field)

That would be our lineup right now, in my opinion.