View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 02:52 AM   #15
Ballpoint Man
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ballpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPit
Default Re: Pankake moving to 3rd base

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
He made a number of throwing errors w/o being on the run....as far as fielding, he made a number of fielding errors with balls hit right to him. hopefully, he'll be improved.
That's true. it's just a different beast. A lot of the errors made by SS or 2B has more to do with the perceived lack of time to make an accurate throw. The position is twitch based at every point: Fielding, switching and throwing.

Typically, your 3B is the second worst "fielder" on the in field, behind only 1B. So any fielding issues (of which, he does have a few) will be muted here. Furthermore, poor instincts can be made up with a strong arm (For example: A super talented 3B might charge a ball, pick it at the inbetween hop and have all day to throw to first. A less talented one may wait on the ball, giving it an extra hop - but if he has the arm strength, can still record the out consistently).

Not trying to talk down to anyone: I think most people probably know that all ready. Just putting it out there.

As a corollary: I am *not* in the camp who believes that Pankake will be better at 3B than LB. LB was a stud over there. Pankake has a fantastic arm, but LB was flawless. Unexpectedly so. Still - I think he's an upgrade over Vergason, and probably going to flourish at that position.
Ballpoint Man is offline   Reply With Quote