View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material
Default Re: PS3 Blinking Red Light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
I had the same issue with first gen a while back and I reflowed mine successfully several times. They used lead free solder which can't withstand the heat and eventually cracks. The heat paste breaks down and no longer transfers heat to the heatsink to cool it down. If you want to keep your ps3 get it reballed that will last a while. If you are going to replace it and want the game try turning ps3 main power off then push and hold eject button as you turn main power back on. It should beep and flash then eject your disc. All of that was from memory about three years ago so hopefully it's correct. If you want to reflow , it isn't hard I can send you the videos I used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockadoo View Post
My first one did that. It's the cold solder joints. It's easy to do, just open it up and use a heat gun on the joints to try and get the solder hot enough to make contact again. There is some good vids on youtube on how to do it.
This would probably explain the hair dryer technique. You warm up the inside with a hair dryer to try and get the joint back together. I was wondering why that would work but it kinda makes sense.

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote