Thread: Heavy Music
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #5
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

CockyCash: 500
Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material
Default Re: Heavy Music

I take a pretty broad approach to the concept of "heaviness" in music, with chief idea being intensity, which can include everything from Beethoven to King Crimson to Mastodon. The Melvins, however, are the ultimate heavy band in my eyes. They are masters of using space and time. Of the early albums, Stoner Witch is your best bet. More recently, Nude With Boots is thrilling stuff. They've been around since the mid-80s and have managed to stay interesting the whole time.

Some recent metal bands I like are Baroness (first 2 albums), Protest the Hero, and Ghost. For older stuff, you can't go wrong with the first 3 Blue Oyster Cult albums (see my avatar!) or King Crimson's Red-era stuff (metal meets jazz!). For punk flavor, Bad Brains rule. Check out Refused's The Shape of Punk To Come if you want to see what it feels like to be eaten by a lion. In a good way.

For quintessential 80s metal, Megadeth's Rust in Peace and Voivod's Nothingface come with me to the desert island. Nothing beats those.

I should shut up now. I'm getting carried away.

Last edited by Transmaniacon; 02-16-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote