Thread: Spiritual Music
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 12:42 AM   #1
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Spiritual Music

So.

I was in Boulder, CO a week or so ago. Usually when I pick up my rental car I synch my phone to it and just play my own music for the week.

Radio sucks, after all.

This time, however, the station was set to a local contemporary christian station, unlike the usual pop or crappy local hip hop that most rental car attendants leave it on. I'd been in a low point lately, so I figured maybe someone was trying to tell me something. So for the whole week I left it there, waiting for God to talk to me.

...and waited.

...and waited.

The only thing that really struck me is that the contemporary christian music that station played really, really sucked. There were copycat bands; bands that were trying to sound just like Mumford & Sons, Muse, and even one that tried to sound like ICP (even down to the 'ha-ha-ha-ha' crap they do). The artists that weren't blatantly ripping off 'secular' bands were just boring and vanilla, over-produced auto-tuned souless nothings. Most songs were either of the 'oh-Lord-you-are-SO-BIG, we're-all-very-impressed-down-here' or the 'I-was-wretched-now-I'm-lifted-up' variety. None of that is bad in and of itself, but it all seemed... fake. Plastic.

There was nothing to it. It felt as packaged as Frosted Flakes.

So I'm asking you, those that might know more about that genre than I do...

Is there anything to it? Are there decent songwriters and artists amongst all that?

Anything that can match stuff like this?

This is serious. Please don't post Creed.