View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 01:59 AM   #4
Ballpoint Man
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ballpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPit
Default Re: Caldwell at Leadoff

Not sure I agree with this. He may not be the most ideal lead-off hitter, but he's been more consistent than anyone else we have a mind to place there. He rarely strikes out (by my count, only 2 - although I dont know how many strikeouts he had in the last game against clemson). He doesnt walk a TON, but he's got 3 or 4 walks. So he's walking more than striking out (early in the season, I know I know). His batting aveage is respectable, and he's middle-of-the-line in speed(Not English fast, but has a few steps on Celek).

Let's look at the other options:

Shrock has great plate discipline, but his battle average was below .250 before this weekend.

Mooney came up HUGE this series, and has great lead-off speed - but has actually looked probably the worst of any player at the plate, yet. His batting average was around .230ish, IIRC (before the series).

English - Never had a great Strikeout-to-walk ratio. Breathtaking speed, but sometimes questionable base-running skills. Also, for whatever reason, has never been able to produce when placed at or near the front of the lineup, as opposed to at the back end

The rest of the guys are pretty obvious scratches, either because they're not all that fast, or because we've got them in great spots and they're producing (like Connor Bright, who's just killing it for us in the middle of the lineup).

I do agree that Caldwell has a penchant for swinging at the first pitch (So does English). Hopefully some coaching will get him to take a few pitches, so we can work their pitcher and give the rest of the guys a chance to see what he's dealing... but I believe that Caldwell is a very suitable lead-off hitter, and will probably hold onto that role until Mooney starts providing a more reliable option.
Ballpoint Man is offline   Reply With Quote