View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default Re: Which tablet should I get?

Damn, I just wrote a long piece and lost it due to a power failure. here is the short version. I have a big Ipad, a big Kindle, and two small kindles. Everything has advantages and disadvantages.

The iPad is easy to use. Marie is tech challenged so that is best for her. It is way overpriced plus you are in their walled garden which means restrictive which means even more costs. Otherwise it looks great.

I don't know about the Windows tabs. Might be good convergence if you also use a Windows phone and X-box. They do not have a great app collection yet. Maybe best for business use.

Android tabs work great. You have a much wider choice of make and model. There may be a bit of a learning curve if you do not have an Android phone. Check out Nexus tabs. Samsung too.

The Kindle is easy to use and is based on their own version of Android. You do not have access to the full Google app store though. Amazon has their own. It has about 75% of Google's but many that are paid apps elsewhere are free with Kindle. It is built primarily for entertainment purposes. Built in connection to Amazon Prime.

Amazon Prime. I consider this a must for tab, phone, and computer. The price goes up next month from $79 per year to $99. In addition to free 2 day shipping on many of the stuff from Amazon you get their e-book library and their Netflix like video service. You can check a free month out here and I will make $2. LOL. http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/signu...g=theyancey-20. I bought my 8.9" Kindle as a refurb to save some bucks and see if I liked it. They still have some for $129. Comes with the same 1 year warranty as new. http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...g=theyancey-20.

There is no such thing as perfect tab yet. Like I said each has its good parts and its drawbacks. I'll add one thing. Marie is freaky about the iPad. Because of its cost she won't take it places. The cheap Kindle goes to the gym and everywhere else. Get Amazon Prime no matter what tab you get.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote