View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Column missed its mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
I think this is the best idea for a stipend but I think very strict rules should be added around it. You leave early you lose it, you get arrested you lose it, you skip class you lose it, you test positive for any drugs you lose it, you don't finish your degree you lose it. This might sound harsh but student athletes should be held to a higher standard since they are representing the university.
I like this but I would argue for a strike policy and not a 1 mess up and you're done kinda thing because after all kids will be kids whether they play sports or not.

If I may play devil's advocate for a second. With your stipulations there, mixed with our sue happy society today. A whole new crazy can of worms could be opened up by 1 unhappy player suing because he lost his money.

The NCAA would have to make sure they wrote out very clearly everything you must do to get that money.

I also don't agree with making the kids graduate to get their money. Some guys just plain don't want an education. I know it sounds dumb to say but if you really look at it i'm not wrong. With how many underclassmen left school early this year for the NFL, I don't think that number would increase much if you allowed them to collect that money after they leave school to turn pro early. (although, enticing them with more money by staying the extra year to graduate MIGHT sway some kids to stay and finish their last year of eligibility)
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote