View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Nice MD28 article

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
The past few years we've based everything off of setting up the read and all that, but only ran the read itself only a few times a game, Mangus still likes THompson's speed and has talked about trying to convince Mitch that he's as fast as he is. You won't see QB draws, but every indication from the coaches says we aren't scrapping the read. Everyone is talking about moving to pocket passers, but whenever our coaches talk about who we get they talk about how much they like in both their running and throwing. None of our guys will break off 60 yard runs, but out offense doesn't call them to. I mean hell, we've ran Thompson plenty in his career, and he's done well with it.
That is what I don't get...where do people get the idea Thompson can't run the zone-read...he has proven he can run it before...is it his forte?
NO.

Is he as big a threat in the run-game as Connor was? No.

But Thompson I think can at least make teams stay honest in the run game...I mean, he can break off 20 yards when we only need 19.

If Thompson can consistently get 4-6 yards when he keeps on the zone read, that is great by me.

Like you said, don't scrap the read...but just not use it as the setup of the offense this ear.

We got three powerful runners in Davis, Wilds and Williams...set up the power run with them to get the playaction pass and supplement with the zone read.

Plus, I think we use Pharoh a lot more this year in the Wildcat.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote