View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 03:11 AM   #6
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material
Default Re: NBA Wants to Up Age Limit

someone correct me if I am wrong but didn't the NBA draft rule come about as a result of a whole lot of "average" high school players and college players with eligibility left declaring for the draft after being convinced by agents, family members, friends, and other acquaintances that they were great and sure to be drafted only to go undrafted and have their college eligibility ruined.

I remember ESPN doing a story before the rule was ever created about some high school basketball player, who wasn't a real great prospect, who had signed a LOI to some smaller school but was convinced by an "uncle" or someone that he was great and would absolutely be drafted to declare for the draft. He (I wish I could remember who it was) went undrafted (obviously), was ineligible for college basketball, and wasn't even able to get signed by a team overseas anywhere. He basically went from at the very least getting a free college education (assuming he stayed out of trouble and in school) to no contract, no education (and no money to pay for an education outside of a scholarship), no basketball, and basically no future.

You talk about Lebron, Kobe, and KG, but for every one of them there are probably at least 2 or 3 players who had their careers negatively impacted by not going to college for at least a year. Expand it to players who declared after their freshman years and the gap between the ones that struggled and the ones that achieved greatness grows even more.

and by the way KG averaged less than 11 PPG in almost 30 MPG his rookie year, Kobe less than 8 PPG and 16 MPG...of the 42 players drafted out of high school into the NBA as many (2) never played an NBA game as were named Rookie of the Year. Only 8 have ever made an all-star team.

Lastly you can't talk about the NBA and NFL in the same conversation. Physically speaking there are a few high school basketball players who can go into the NBA and compete immediately...in the NFL no one can. Clowney is probably the most physically gifted HS football player I have ever seen and would have done horribly in the NFL straight out of high school.
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote