View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default Super-Efficient Ax

I would be all over this if I still lived in a place that needed firewood.

Quote:
The ax isn't typically something we think of as modern or revolutionary. It's one of the oldest tools in the human toolbox.

But some guys at Vipukirves, in Finland, have discovered a huge flaw with the tool: It's really hard to use. As a matter of physics and engineering, splitting wood with an ax requires a huge amount of power to drive the wedge into the wood and split it without getting the ax stuck. Traditional axes can also be dangerous since they can hit your leg if you miss the target. This is why using an ax is such a macho test of strength, and not a simple household task you can assign to a child.

One day, some guy thought to himself, "Eureka! I need to work on this!" (according to the history of Vipukirves). After testing out a few different methods, the company realized that leverage was the answer to the problem. A regular ax uses virtually no leverage it simply strikes wood at a 90-degree angle, like a sharp hammer. Leverage in which a shallow angle is used to maximize the force of the weight on the other end of the lever creating the angle is a more efficient way of transferring force.

And so the Leveraxe was born.
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-l...#ixzz2zKeUXh4L

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote