View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

CockyCash: 500
BlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Chicago ND fan/SEC book idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Hey All,

I'm a die hard Notre Dame fan and a 28 y/o teacher from Chicago (hope you don't hold that against me). I'm going to take next year off teaching and tour the SEC with the intention of writing a book about fan culture and identity and what it's like being a college football fan in the SEC.

I'm hoping to get to know some of you and get to know what makes you tick, what you love, what frustrates you, etc about South Carolina football. The plan is to be down there for the Tennessee game November 1st, get there a couple days early, check out campus, meet fans, check the tailgate and game.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brains. For starters, whats it like having a legendary coach at the helm? Whats the impression of head ball coach? What's it been like over the past few years having program changing players like Clowney, Lattimore, and to some extent Jeffrey (as I Bears fan, I was soooo happy when we drafted that guy)? Where do you see the program headed and what needs to happen for you to get over the last hump and win a National Championship?

Thanks in advance for welcoming me to the board and feel free to ask any questions you have about ND football (if you have any. I think I'm a pretty level-headed fan and I get that I'm part of a largely elitist fan base that hasn't deserved national attention for the better part of 20 years since Holtz left)

Jim
Being a Gamecock is something I was born into. I have been going to games since I was a kid (I'm 48), my kids have been going to games since they were kids etc.

While we've only been an SEC team since 1992, our football culture has always been strong. It isn't just the SEC, it is football in the South.

Until we got Lou Holtz as a coach, we got had sub par coaching (excluding Morrison but that is a whole other story).

You grow up on football Saturdays in the fall. No one gets married on a home game day because no one will show up to your wedding.

On football Saturdays, Williams Brice Stadium becomes the second biggest city in the state.

One of my lifelong friend's parents, donated the money to build Williams Brice. It was a blast going to games and seeing then Gov Carroll Campbell in worse seats than we had.

It's just a really hard thing to explain because it is so innate. It is like trying to explain the color blue.

Forgot to add, I've always worn a dress to the games except for the odd chilly game that I've worn wool pants but we definitely dress for games.

Good luck!
BlueHerons is online now   Reply With Quote