View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 26222586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material
Default Re: BEST HAIR BAND TOURNAMENT: Final Round (#1) Guns N Roses vs. (#2) Motley Crue

Thanks, Spurt, for running this contest.

I'm not a big fan of "hair band" as a moniker. A number of high-quality bands got swept up in the hairspray/makeup fad of the 80s. In my opinion, especially with the benefit of a few decades, this shouldn't exactly qualify them as hair bands. And I know, Spurt, what you've said about hair bands, and I agree. So, don't take this as a shot at your poll.

GnR was a bit like a shooting star. Super-talented, ego-laden, crazy, and with the ability to make timeless music. AFD is an unforgettable "debut", although some would argue that it wasn't truly their debut. Tracing their roots to the Stones with heavy doses of metal and punk, with a bit of Sunset Strip glam, GnR pounded out a number of memorable songs before their untimely demise due to over-production and Axl Rose's condition.

The Crue were a hard-driving, drug and whiskey-fueled rock band who cut a gaping swath through a decade of fantastic music. Beginning as a demonic LA band with a punk/metal sound, they ended up making radio-ready music that was good and, like their competitor, a tad over-produced in its later stages.

For me, music vs music, Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction, along with select cuts from the two Use Your Illusion albums (especially the lesser known cuts, like "Dead Horse") surpass pretty much anything the Crue ever mustered.

I like both bands, so it's not easy for me to give the nod to GnR, but I did.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote