04-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Voice of Reason
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pine Ridge
Re: Hog Hunting Advice
Originally Posted by GapoGamecock51
I have a nephew who wants to do some hunting, and the most accessible form of hunting he can partake in is hog hunting...I am well aware of the legal status of hogs as it concerns harvesting an animal, as I am aware of the danger of killing one...I am simply asking for anyone and everyone's advice on how best to go about this....Here are the relevant facts of my situation.
1. My nephew is old enough to hunt.
2. We have no elevated blind and do not own or have access to at least 2 deer stands to sit in.
3. He does have a high powered rifle (30-06) with a scope that he has sighted in.
4. I have googled various attractants for wild hogs, but was wondering what you all think works best for the hogs we have here in South Carolina.
5. In regards to my nephews safety....That is my highest priority, and I will likely have access to a .45acp handgun to make sure the animal is properly dispatched and of no threat as well as a high powered rifle (.243) both owned by someone who is an excellent shot, if the need arises.
6. We have access to some private property where the owner has traps set out, but has yet to catch anything....Should the traps be removed?
As it relates to concealment, could you camouflage a truck and shoot from the bed of the truck, or with a high powered rifle is that a bad idea (break the trucks windows.)
Essentially, any and all advice is welcomed.
Some pics from the Cocky Babes usually draws out Hog.